Monte Vettore

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.82509°N / 13.27440°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8123 ft / 2476 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Reaching 2476 metres above the sea, Monte Vettore is the major peak of the Monti Sibillini-range. Consisting of 11 independent summits which rise over 2000 metres the Monti Sibillini are the 4th highest mountain massive of the Apennines. Monte Priora (or Pizzo della Regina/2332 m) and Cima del Redentore (2448 m/formerly known as Scoglio del Lago) deserve to be mentioned apart. Thanks to their fame, which reaches beyond the borders of Italy, and to the infrastructural possibilities, these mountains are pretty frequented. Being on the Umbrian side of the Monti Sibillini, the Piano Grande (great plain) of Castelluccio is inseparable from the image of this mountain range. Castelluccio, situated on a hill right above the “Great Plain” at 1452 metres, should be the highest all year round inhabited village of central and southern Italy. Observed from south and from east, most of all when snow covered, these mountains have an outstanding rough appearance. So it is no surprise that the eastern versant is the wildest and less frequented of all. Besides the mountains, which are protected by the Monti Sibillini National park, you should not hesitate to visit some of the cities at their foot. Ascoli Piceno, Spoleto, Norcia and Visso are extraordinary examples of medieval Italian architecture.
Cima del Redentore
Monte Vettore

Getting There

From Rome: take the Autostrada 1 –highway until you reach Orte (exit), where you leave the A1 following the indications for Terni. After Terni continue to drive towards Spoleto. Having reached Spoleto, follow the indications for Norcia. Now climb up the mountain pass and drive towards Castelluccio, which is clearly indicated. Short before you reach Castelluccio (you have already crossed big part of the “Great Plain” and you can see the little village on your left) turn right heading towards Ascoli Piceno. A few minutes later you reach the Forca di Presta mountain pass (1534 m) where you leave the car at a spacious parking area close to the Rifugio degli Alpini.

From Milan, Venice, Bologna: take the Autostrada 14 –highway (direction south) and leave it at San Benedetto del Tronto. Follow the indications for Ascoli Piceno. After Ascoli Piceno continue to drive towards Rome. Leave the main road (it’s the famous Via Salaria) at Arquata del Tronto. Short before you reach this medieval village, turn right following the indications for Montegallo (pay attention, easy to miss). At the next junction turn left (do not continue to drive towards Montegallo). Now you are close to the Forca di Presta mountain pass (1534 m) where you leave the car.

Red Tape

Permits are not required. There are no fees or seasonal closures. In winter the huts are not guarded and some minor roads won't be cleaned. Nevertheless the Monti Sibillini are within a protected area, the Monti Sibillini National park. Please visit the homepage for getting to know more about the local wildlife rules. However you can move freely on these mountains.

When To Climb

Monte Vettore can be climbed all year round. In summer the normal route is an easy walk-up. In the cold seasons, the street leading to the Forca di Presta mountain pass between Castelluccio and Arquata del Tronto, is always cleaned. So in winter approach and trailhead are the same like in summer. Obviously in winter you’ll have to face snow, low temperatures and the strong winds for which this mountain is famous. In spring the Monti Sibillini are an El Dorado for ski mountaineers.

Camping

There are some temporarily guarded huts:
Rifugio degli Alpini (1550 m) situated on the Forca di Presta
Rifugio del Fargno (1811 m) on the Forcella del Fargno
Rifugio Sibilla (1540 m) situated on the eastern versant of Monte Sibilla

Another important but not guarded hut is the Capanna Ghezzi (1570 m). The hut is situated at the eastern edge of the "Great Plain"

There are several bivouacs, the most significant is the Rifugio Zilioli (2240 m) situated on the Forca delle Ciaule (Monte Vettore normal route)

Mountain Conditions

Weather conditions: MeteoAeronautica or tempoitalia.it

Monti Sibillini National park


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.