Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 24.9333°S / 66.3833°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 20932 ft / 6380 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Nevado de Cachi is the name given to a large complex of mountain that lies in the region of Salta (Northern Argentina). This complex counts several summits, the highest is 6,380m high and it is called Cumbre Libertador; this summit was climbed the first time in 1950.
The main summit is rarely climbed (less than 5 expeditions per year) and the secondary summits even less. Some of them have been climbed only once.
The quality of the rock is almost everywhere poor, there is permanent snow but almost no glacier. Almost all routes are easy but rockfalls are not infrequent. In summer the snow-line is about at 5,800m; in winter it is significantly lower (as low as 3,500m) making possible some technical climb (ice and snow route at about 55 degrees). The region experience the same seasons of Bolivia, summers are dry but winter can be very rainy with heavy snowfalls. Wind is probably the main hazard and should be not underestimated.

Getting There

Village of Cachi
From Salta take a bus to the village of Cachi. The journey takes 4 hours and costs around 8 USD (as in December 2006). When in Cachi there are two options according to the preferred climbing route. Take a bus to the village of Las Pailas (30 minutes, 1 USD) or take a private transport for the place called "Las Cuevas" which is about 25 km fare from Cachi.
Mules can be rented in Cachi at a cost of about 20 USD/day.

Red Tape

There are no restrictions but climbers should register at the local police station. This is formally compulsory after a fatality occurred a few years ago.

Camping

There are excellent campsites almost all the way up to the summit, on both the main routes to the summits (Las Cuevas or Las Pailas).
Description of the campsites (GPS co-ordinates and water proximity) is given in the description of the routes.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

NicoSalta - Jan 28, 2009 6:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Time To Climb It

The best season is mid March until beggining of May and the Mid Sept until first Days of December. Water can be found either on Las Cuevas Route or Las Pailas. Being the last one a direct route to the Hoygard Summit 6184. There is only one company doing expeditions at the moment. Puma Expeditions, based in Salta. www.pumaexpeditions.com.ar

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Andes 6000m PeaksMountains & Rocks