FUGITIVE GTX

 

FUGITIVE GTX
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title FUGITIVE GTX
Manufacturer ASOLO
Page By Dow Williams
Page Type May 25, 2005 / May 3, 2007
Object ID 1336
Hits 14592
Vote
Asolo Fugitive GTX
An ideal choice for light hikers and trekkers who demand lightweight and comfort. This line is available in both men's and women's styles. These shoes have a particular look and a snappy design.

They are structured with our innovative footbed - Duo Asoflex. Every single component and material has been carefully evaluated and tested as part of our continued search for something new in terms of quality, reliability and innovation.

Upper mm 1,6-1,8 water resistant suede + Cordura

Inner lining GORE-TEX®

Sole Asolo Syncro rubber-PU

Fit MM - ML

Size Men (6-13,5 UK) Women (3,5-9,5 UK)

Weight gr. 690 (1/2 pair size 8)

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-12 of 12

Dow Williams - May 25, 2005 10:05 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Outstanding Boot. I wear hiking boots on many Alpine and trad objectives. My average summit includes over 4000' daily gain. I wore Salmon ADV series for many years, but they changed the format, thus, I was in search of a new boot and tried the Asolo FSN 95 and they are decent for smaller days, but these Fugitives are for the real work. Narrow form is good for edging, gives good sensation on rock (not contragrip, but good rubber), it's rand and ankle structure take the beating I give them on descent., have a well defined snug lace system, not locking, but works as good. I was surprised how much more waterproof out of the box these appear to be vs the Salomon I used for so long. The tongue fits close and tight keeping debris out. I will be checking out Asolo from now on for mountaineering boots as well. Cheers!

calijetfxr - Oct 30, 2005 2:27 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Excellent boot with minor hardwear problem. The break in period on this boot is mearly the few minutes that you wear them around in the store as you try them on. I have worn these boots wit ha load of up to 60 lbs on a 16 day trek across Tibet with terrain ranging from loose scree to thigh deep snow. They remained waterproof and I didn't experience even the slightest of hotspots. The hardwear problem I mentioned is with the lace hardwear. The metal eyelets tend to rub on the laces causing them to break. This has happened to me three times over the last six months I have owned these boots. Keep an eye on the laces and you will have many comfortable climbs in these boots.

Mike N - Nov 16, 2005 1:34 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Phenomenal boot. Light relative to other similar boots. You stay dry crossing streams and the sturdy toe box keeps you from banging your toes into roots and rocks. I can even climb 5.6 slab in these boots with their great sole.



On the down side, like all Goretex shoes your feet will sweat. Also, if you have narrow feet they seem to fit a little loose. Adding an insole definitely helps.

Poor Climber - Jan 20, 2007 7:19 pm - Hasn't voted

8 out of 10
I have used these boots for 14ers, and general hiking.

Pros
`Easy to break in.
`Light
`Climbs well for a trekking boot. (edges ok, and smears ok).

Cons
` It could use more cushioning.
` Only fits strap on Crampons

Woodie Hopper - Jan 25, 2007 7:05 pm - Voted 5/5

9 out of 10
I love these boots, I also think they climb well and are pretty durable. I didn't have any appreciable break-in period and they fit my "low volume" feet pretty well. My only gripe is I think they flex a little too much for optimal "strap-on" crampon usage. The cost is reasonable too.
I voted 5 stars because crampons aren't the primary usage for this boot.

BSPclimber - Jan 29, 2007 7:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Great boot!
Got these recently. Did 7 miles in them on a fairly steep trail, very comfortable, much lighter than my old Raichle Eiger boots, excellent traction. Did develop a hot spot on the bottom of my big toe, but I attribute that to running down fairly steep switchbacks, probably would have happened with almost any boot.

lizrdboy - Mar 20, 2007 2:22 am - Voted 4/5

Goretex Sweat
These are very well made boots. My only issue is with the Goretex. They are just to warm and my feet sweat. Next time I'll go for the cheaper, better breathers.

steste - Nov 13, 2007 2:32 pm - Voted 4/5

A good boot...
...well designed with a great care of the particular. I wore them forthe whole day in soft snow and they remained dry.
A very interesting price too. My only complaint is about the internal finish. Maybe I was unlucky but the right boot had some small defect on the liner seam that caused me a blister. I had to correct it the by cutting a small piece of protruding fabric.

ZachStone - Jul 7, 2009 6:03 pm - Voted 5/5

good boot
Wore these all over N. America and Europe. Pounded out CO trails, Irish bogs, Scottish Highlands, Appalachian bushwhacking, late spring snow, and Welsh climbing w/no complaints. I hate heavy, hot boots, so these worked well for me. I have literally used these for everything. Backpacking, travel, climbing, snow. Whenever, where ever, these boots are ready to go for me. The shape fits my foot very wall also. Maybe not for everyone, some people might want more support, but I have had no problems and I am a big guy, 6-4 200lbs, and carried 80+ pounds up over a pass on the Isle of Skye to reach the Glenbrittle hut w/no problems.

While working at a retail store, I have noticed there are some feet (really wide, really flat, or really narrow heels) that the boots do not fit well, but that is true with every boot.

Plus Asolo's quality and brand can't be beat.

weakest point: the insole, complete crap, replaced it after 50 miles, but thats bout the same on any boot

Paired with superfeet the rock

Bombchaser - Sep 12, 2009 6:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Boot / Weak Soles
I have went through four pairs of these in the past four years. The boots are extremely comfortable and offer excellent traction on rocky terrain. THe toe and side protection is very good at resisting sharp rocks. The negative for these boots is I wear out the soles in about eight months. For someone who does hiking and climbing on extreme terrain, the sole wear down. I have now purchased a leather pair of Asolo boots with a Vibram sole. The Vibram seems to last a lot longer than the Asolo sole.

reboyles - Dec 9, 2010 4:15 pm - Voted 5/5

Good boot but...
I have owned 4 pair of Asolo hiking boots, 3 all-leather and now the GTX. The GTX is a very comfortable boot with almost no break-in required and the Gore-Tex lining while a bit hot, has proven nearly waterproof in some really wet conditions. I have a narrow foot (B width) and am able to lace these tight enough to prevent any slop in my hard to fit foot. The eyelets are a bit tight and I can see they may eat laces over time but I always carry a spare pair of the toughest laces on earth (figure skate laces) that I'll use if necessary. Overall, I still prefer the fit and feel of the stiffer all-leather Asolo hiking boot but they now cost around $250.

Andrew Rankine - Jan 5, 2012 11:29 pm - Voted 5/5

Just awesome
I love these boots! I live in AZ, but I go to Europe every summer, so I need a boot that can deal with a variety of conditions when hiking. These boots have been comfortable doing 20 mile days in snow in Bulgaria, and equally comfortable on a 10 mile hike in the Superstitions in 107 degree August heat.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12