Torre GTX

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Torre GTX
Manufacturer Montrail
Page By Dean
Page Type Nov 10, 2002 / Nov 10, 2002
Object ID 9222
Hits 2393
Vote
Waterproof nubuck leather uppers withGore-Tex® linings Microporous rubber midsoles
Full-length nylon boards with half steel shanks
Vibram® Explorer rubber outsoles
IntegraFit last design
Wt. 3lb 4 oz (based on size 9)

Reviews


Viewing: 1-9 of 9

Dean - Nov 10, 2002 1:52 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
When I wanted a hiking boot that I could attach crampons to, I started asking around and several friends advised me to get either the Asolo FSN 95's or the Montrail Torre GTX boots. REI had the Montrails on sale so I picked them up and found them to be a beautiful fit right out of the box. Very comfortable on the trail and I'm impressed with the quality of the workmanship. I have often hiked in Montrail Vitresse trail runners and I have appreciated the quality and the great fit that I get from these Montrail products. No, I'm not getting a kickback from Montrail (although I should)

Update as of Oct 2003:: I have now used these boots on a dozen hikes covering ten or more miles, some as many as twenty miles in one day and they are unbelievable. They handle wet conditions extremely well and are comfortable mile after mile. As a contrast on Mt. Daniels in October I wore my other set of boots and that turned out to be a huge mistake. By the end of the day I was hobbling down the last switchbacks because the other boots killed me. Never again, that was a hard lesson and so now I'll only wear the GTX's.

The only gripe I have is that on real hot days, they are also hot on my feet, probably due to the gore tex. All in all, this boot is a 9 out of 10. I've run into about 4 other people wearing the same boot and they all feel the same way about it.

nguy33 - Jan 10, 2004 6:33 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I love these boots! Ive had them for over a year now, and have backpacked several hundred miles in them. They fit beautifly right out of the box. And suprisingly, there was next to no break in time. That does not mean these are not supportive. These are quite study midweight full leather boots, yet they feel suprisingly light. After wearing these for a month straight on a backpacking trip in the cascades, i had not one blister, an unusual accoplishment for me. The toe cap is a nice feature to have as well for it prevents the front of the boot from getting scuffed up. The leather on the uppers is a bit thin, and could be beefed up a little to prevent gashes. This concern is minor however, and i have never had any problems in regards to the boots construction. Overall, a sturdy pair of boots for weights up to 50-60 lbs. I would be hesitant to use these with anything more, but really have no desire to ever carry upwards of 60 lbs anyway. Highly reccomended!

jtostenr - Aug 3, 2004 12:51 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I bought these boots last year when I really started to do a lot of hiking. It only took a couple of trips for them to get broken in. Since then, they have been very comfortable and overall I have been very satisfied.



One thing that I thought was nice was that they included instructions on different ways to lace up the boots to adjust the fit. I tried a few variations and settled on one that felt good. This really helped when I first started wearing them and I think it just makes them that much more comfortable.



The boots have held up well over the last year, which has included trips up to Camp Muir, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, Mt Pugh and many more miles around the Cascades. They seem to work well in most conditions. Performance in snow and ice isn't so great, but then you're going to be using crampons or snowshoes anyways.



Speaking of crampons, I use these boots with my Grivel G12 strap on crampons and they work very well. I wish that they could use the hybrid crampons, but oh well. I have not done any real steep climbing with crampons in these boots, but I suspect that there may be more flex than you'd want. They worked fine on moderate slopes though.



On long mileage days I've been pretty happy as well. After 14 miles they're still as comfy as any boot could be. Is there any way to not have tired feet after hiking all day?



I like these boots and would not hesitate to recommend them. If I ever need another pair of hiking boots, I would definitely have to consider buying another pair of these.

scvanm - Mar 2, 2005 10:57 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I bought these boots in early 2002. I was going to climb my 1st 14er (Longs) and wanted a supportive boot because my ankles are kind of weak from an old high school injury. I also wanted to have the option of using crampons.



These boots have been great. I now have 10 14ers and many miles on other trails that I have worn these boots. They are holding up extreemly well!!! I never thought a boot would last me 3 years (going on 4 now). They are well worth the money in my opinion...And I am pretty cheap.



I have also used them through the last three years of bowhunting. They are comfortable and the Gortex lining has saved my feet from getting wet many a time now.



I would highly recommend these boots.

coljayms - Mar 28, 2005 10:04 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These boots have served me well for over 300 hundred miles of trails and scree in the Rocky Mountains. My feet have stayed comfortable on hikes and mountain scrambles over 15 miles long. The treads provide excellant traction and I feel the ankle support has save me on numerous slips and twists. Teamed with a water-proofing application these Gor-tex boots will really keep the wet out. Unfortunetly, after two years of heavy use, they are now showing significant signs of wear. The leather is getting sliced up and the treads are worn yet the boot still provides good support and is too comfortable to replace. For me, it took a few hikes to break this boot in. I had one bad blister from a 45 -mile backpacking trip the second time I used these boots. Happy to say that I haven't had a blister since and now am comfortable enough with them to leave the mole skin at home.

Cody - Jul 11, 2005 3:23 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These boots kept my feet dry during several months in Scotland. Cross country through rain soaked heather and grass, in addition to numerous muddy trails and peat bogs did not get my feet wet once.



The tread has held up well over hundreds of miles of Sierra trails and scrambles, as well as a fair amount of street usage.



Only problem is small rocks and sticks seem to find their way into the boots a little more than i'd like

wetsponge007 - Sep 20, 2005 2:06 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
I got my montrails at adventure 16 and have had many problems with them. I did get fitted and they were very comfortable around the store and my house. I have went on two trips up Mt.Langley in them and the first time they were pretty good but this last time I got horrible blisters on the back of my heals. I was wearing smart wool medium socks. Previous to the blisters I had a problem with where my ankle bone protrudes on the outside of my foot. It rubbed very badly. I was only able to notice the pain after about 2 miles. So I had to have them stretched in that area. Also since I have owned them I have probably put 55 miles on them and they are falling apart. The leater tears easily and the sole is already showing significant wear.

kevin trieu - Nov 16, 2005 4:27 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These boots have been with me on 8 of the CA 14'ers, numerous long distance trails & Grand Canyon rim to rim. Summer, winter, wet or hot .. it doesn't matter, these boots will keep your feet dry, without blisters & happy. They work well with straps crampons as I have taken them on Shasta. These boot are so comfortable that I even wear them to work on casual fridays. Highly recommended. I will not leave home without them.

Smith93 - Jan 2, 2006 10:22 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
These have been good boots but they haven't held up as well as I would have liked. I have worn these boots on two separate trips on the John Muir Trail and numerous other hikes in the Sierras and my local mountains and they have been great but there are things I haven't liked about them. I have average width feet and when wearing these boots I tend to feel like my feet are swimming. The tongue on the boots practically scoops trail debris into the boot, which finally prompted me to go buy some trail gators. Other problems I have encountered with these boots is that they do not breath enough when hiking in warm to hot conditions which makes your feet sweat and by the end of the day your feet are soaked even when wearing the two layered wicking sock system. They are good boots but not great boots. I don't necessarily regret buying these boots but in hind sight I would have chosen a different pair.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9