It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 am

News News of Technique and Training

Site map of Technique and Training » Forum : Technique and Training

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Feeling Dizzy after a Bike Ride

I recently started riding a bike after probably not being on a bike since I was a teenager...trying to get my body back into shape after a few years of not being in the best of shape that I use to be in. I have always been prone to getting motion sickness from either being a passenger in a car or on a airplane...so not sure that has something to do with why after I ...
Read more : Feeling Dizzy after a Bike Ride | Views : 109211 | Replies : 15

Alpine coil ?

When you do an alpine coil you coil the rope around your chest, pull a bite behind the coil, tie an over hand knot in front of the coil, and clip the bite to your belay loop. This would in effect place the force of a fall on your chest where you tied the over hand knot.

Does anyone pull the bite through their belay loop prior to bringing behind the coil and then tie ...
Read more : Alpine coil ? | Views : 6088 | Replies : 5

Android run tracking application with API or export to .csv

Anyone know of a good application that can do this? I tried a couple, but none quite worked. "Runmeter" seemed to be the closest match to my specs but only works on an iPhone. I already found some apps that track this and do a fairly good job, but they only have manual extracts, which don't quite work for me.

I'm interested in the following information:
Code: Select all
Date, Distance, Elevation Gain, Time, Pace
Read more : Android run tracking application with API or export to .csv | Views : 3104 | Replies : 2

Snow Pickets - Upright Midclips

Just wondering how many have read this article on snow pickets:

http://www.mountainz.co.nz/content/arti ... nchors.pdf

So the findings more or less were:
In most cases upright midclips are as good as a t-slot with a fraction of the work. Does this get anybody to dig less t-slots? Why or why not?

I'd like to try this but I'm not wild about permanently swagging 4mm cable to my pickets. I think ...
Read more : Snow Pickets - Upright Midclips | Views : 6726 | Replies : 4

NOLS courses?

Thought this might be a good place to pose this question. I have some scholarship money still waiting to be used from a couple of Americorps jobs I have done. This can be applied toward NOLS courses. The cost would normally deter me, but it's free so what the hell. There are a couple of 23 and over courses that look cool, especially Alaska Mountaineering. Does anyone have any experience with NOLS?

I am a ...
Read more : NOLS courses? | Views : 2371 | Replies : 1

2 Man Crevasse Rescue Advice Wanted! 2 Man Crevasse Rescue Advice Wanted!

I plan on heading to Paradise tomorrow with a buddy of mine to practice crevasse rescue for training to climb Rainier this Spring. We intend to go up the Gibraltar ledges as a 2 man team. For a long time I been doing many trips as a 2 man team which in the past I knew how to do it but over time have become rusty in doing it.

So does anyone happen to know ...
Read more : 2 Man Crevasse Rescue Advice Wanted! | Views : 39481 | Replies : 40

A few tips for contact lens wearers!

I hope i'm not the last one to think of this and the following tips will be new for at least one person.

I'll keep this short..

I have been doing this in the back country for a few months now with durations up to 3 days at a home with great results.

I have been using an RGP case like this one.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=RGP+cont ... x=91&ty=63

The reason for ...
Read more : A few tips for contact lens wearers! | Views : 13021 | Replies : 8

3 people. 1 rope on steep snow

Hi guys,

I am goint to Liberty Ridge in June with 2 other climbers and I heard you could do this route (and others I suppose) with only 1 rope.

Now, my rope is a 1/2 rope, 8.1mm and 60m long (mammut phoenix dry). After searching for a while over the internet I could only found this piece of info at this website:

http://www.chauvinguides.com/selfrescue/alpinesnow.cfm

It says:

"When dealing with ...
Read more : 3 people. 1 rope on steep snow | Views : 10594 | Replies : 10

Training Length/Efficiency: Running vs. Cycling

People always say that you have to cycle about twice as long as you run to get the same results. I don't quite understand why. If I cycle for 30min at a heart rate of 160bpm, or I run for 30min at a heart rate of 160bpm, I should have the same cardio workout. No? I get that I'm training different muscles, but apart from that I really can't see the difference.

I'm asking since ...
Read more : Training Length/Efficiency: Running vs. Cycling | Views : 25145 | Replies : 15

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558003 • Total topics 55843 • Total members 136531