Pointe Fornet

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.73303°N / 6.85633°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 10072 ft / 3070 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pointe Fornet is the fifth highest mountain of Lechaud/Berrio Blanc group, set on the ridge that divedes the valley of Chavannes from the Breuil valley. The Northern side (visible from Mont Blanc ridge) shows a quite vertical wall rising from the Valley of Chavannes. Over this steep side, 100 meters under the top there is a little glacier with a lake. Southern side is less agggressive: slopes of rock and stones go down from the top.

Getting There

From Italy:
Autostrada Torino-Monte Bianco, exit in Morgex
follow the statale until Pre Saint Didier.
Turn left in direction: Piccolo San Bernardo.
After La Thuile continue on the main road to Piccolo San Bernardo.
Park on the bend after Cretaz, where is a restaurant.
From France:
from Bourg Saint Maurice follow the Petit Saint Bernard direction. After the pass continue on the street until Cretaz.
Park here
A yellow sign indicates colle di Bassa Serra: follow the trail on the dirt track descending to the river. Cross the bridge and follow the path rising on the left. After a mountain shelter, the street terminates and the trail goes into the deep part of the valley of Breuil. After an hut (Entre Deux Eau) the trail rise on the rigth to overcame the barrier between the lower part and the highest part of the Valley. After some military constructions (Le Grotti) the route cross on the left in direction of the highest part of the Valley.

E, 2-2.30h

Main Routes

1. From the summit plateau of Breuil, proceed on the main trail until the Colle di Bassa Serra (2737 m). At this point the signed trail ends: follow the west ridge until a grassy elevation (2900 m), then go down (easy but with some exposed passage) to another un-nominated saddle (about 2860 m). Follow the steepy slope until the top leaning on the ridge where the stones are more solid.

EE, 1.30 h

2. From the middle of the summit plateau head for the un-nominated saddle (2860 m) on steepy slopes of grass and then follow the main route.

EE, 1.10 h

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.