Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 14.65583°N / 91.26583°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 9908 ft / 3020 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a very beautiful volcano. San Pedro rises above lake Atitlan in Sololá in majestic beauty and is one of the most photographed volcanos in the world because of it's beauty. This volcano is joined by others, Tolimán and Atitlán. San Pedro is the smallest. The peak is very accessible and is not often visited. It has different camping spots, the best are in the border of the crater. It has a really deep crater. The route is an easy direct walk up. You can secure guides at San Pedro la Laguna. It's really important to do that because the route has a lot of trails that take you to other mountains or to nowhere, also because there are some roberies, but if you go with a guide your chances of being robbed are reduced, a little.

 

Getting There

Leave the capital via the highland route CA-1 through Chimaltenango, Tecpan, Los Encuentros and down to Solola and then to Panajachel, along the shores of the lake lake on the north side. Depending on the time you arrive in Panajachel, you can take the boat over the lake and to San Pedro la Laguna. If it was not possible to get the boat, you will need to spend the night in Panajachel and get up early the next day. You can also take the highway at km. 117 to Las Trampas, Godinez and then to San Lucas Toliman, Santiago Atitlan and San Pedro la Laguna, but the road from San Lucas is very bad and you would have to go around almost all of lake Atitlan. So it is more advisable to arrive in Panajachel early, where you can get the boat to San Pedro.

Get to San Pedro (can go there by boat from Pana or Santiago, or from land from Guatemala, Xela, or Santiago. From Guatemala or Xela, take a bus towards the other one, and tell the driver you want to go to San Pedro, or to get off at km 148 (ciento cuarenta y ocho). From there just ask for a bus to San Pedro, very simple. From Santiago a bus leaves hourly for San Pedro (10Q, one hour) or a boat leaves about as frequently (25Q, 20 minutes). Once you are in San Pedro, take the road towards Santiago. About 5km up you WILL SEE (cannot miss) the offices on the left. As annoying as it may seem to pay Q100 to get in, appreciate the fact that it is one of the cleanest (as in, no garbage)trails in Guatemala, and safe from robbing. It also provides employment to people in an area where farm hands (about the only job available there) earn Q35 or 3.5 Euros a day. (Contributed by Tim Geerlings)

 
 

 

Saliendo de capital por la ruta CA-1 del altiplano, pasando por Chimaltenango, Tecpan, Los Encuentros y descendiendo a Solola y de ahi a Panajachel, a la orilla del lago en su lado norte, con un recorrido en asfalto de unos 150 kms. Dependiendo de la hora de llegada a Panajachel, se puede tomar la lancha que atraviesa el lago y llega a San Pedro la Laguna. Si no fuera posible abordar la lancha, es necesario pernoctar en Panajachel y madrugar al dia siguente. Puede tomarse tambien el camino carretero que en el km. 117 de la carretera del altiplano dobla hacia Las Trampas, Godinez y de ahi a San Lucas Toliman, Santiago Atitlan y San Pedro la Laguna, pero el camino desde San Lucas es muy malo y la vuelta muy larga, pues habria que circunvalar practicamente todo el lago de Atitlan. Por eso es mas recomendable el arribo a Panajachel, en donde puede abordarse la lancha hacia San Pedro.

Llegar a San Pedro (se puede ir allí en barco desde Pana o Santiago, o de la tierra desde Guatemala, Xela, o Santiago. Desde Guatemala o Xela, coger un autobús hacia el otro, y decirle al conductor que quiere ir a San Pedro, o para bajarse en el km 148 (Ciento Cuarenta y Ocho). A partir de ahí sólo hay que preguntar por un autobús a San Pedro, muy simple. Desde Santiago un autobús sale cada hora para San Pedro (10Q, una hora) o un barco deja casi tan frecuencia (25Q, 20 minutos). Una vez en San Pedro, tomar la carretera en dirección a Santiago. a unos 5 km hasta podrás ver (no puede faltar) las oficinas de la izquierda. tan molesto como puede parecer a pagar Q100 para entrar, apreciar el hecho de que es uno de los más limpios (como adentro, no basura) senderismo en Guatemala, ya salvo de robar. También proporciona empleo a personas en una zona donde las manos de granja (sobre el único trabajo disponible allí) ganan Q35 o 3.5 euros al día. (Contribución de Tim Geerlings)

Route Description

The climb starts in the village of San Pedro, situated on the banks (south side) of Lake Atitlan. Along the road leading to Santiago Atitlan, on the section just before the part of the road called "Big Bend", is the entrance to the path that, heading southeast, eventually reaches the crater of the volcano.

There really is no straightforward and well-defined path up the mountain, especially at the start because of the cornfields and vegetable crops, which go right up to the start of the forest. If you do not know the way, it is best to ask, or be accompanied by a local person who knows the way. The volcano has an almost perfect cone, very semetrical, and the ascent is straight up, so climb without much difficulty, but on a fairly steep incline. The entrance to the crater is located to the lakeside and is usually overgrown and closed to visitors. The crater is small, its depth is unknown, as this is also covered with forest and large trees. That is also why the view from the top is not the most dramatic. Plan on a 10 hour hike round trip.

Beautifully set on Lake Atitlán, across the lake from Panajchel, San Pedro makes for a great day hike, the easiest of the 3 volcanoes to summit near the lake. The volcano is currently being supervised under an organization who are handling the tourism in quite a sustainable fashion. Because of this you ‘have to’ hire a guide through the organization, which can get a bit expensive at Q100 per person. The guides are quite well informed, and take small groups which is always a plus. Alternatively, just walk off the road, past the guide’s office, and onto the trail on the left side. The trail is very straight forward, and safe, just continue up until you reach the summit. To get to the starting point, take a boat from Panajchel to the quaint but touristy village of San Pedro, and then a halon to the organization’s office. Anyone on the streets will point you the way to the trailhead. New bathrooms, guides, and information are available there at the office. The climb takes 3 - 4 hours to summit. For more information, the local INGUAT office in Panajchel, located on the main drag, which has decent information, including maps of the area. (Special thanks to BLong for this contribution)

El ascenso se inicia en la poblacion de su mismo nombre, situada a orillas (lado suroeste) del lago atitlan. Siguiendo la carretera que conduce a santiago atitlan, en llamada "curva grande", o un poco antes, se encuentra la entrada de la vereda que, con rumbo sureste, llega hasta el crater del volcan.

Realmente no existe una vereda franca y bien definida en la montana, sobre todo porque al principio hay mucha milpa y siembras de verdure, hasta la entrada de la selva. Si no se conoce el camino, es major preguntar, o hacerse acompanar de una persona del lugar que conozca bien la senda. El volcan es un cono casi perfecto, bastante semetrico, y el ascenso se hace directamente hacia arriba, por lo que se suba sin dificultad, pero en una inclinacion bastante pronunciada. La entrada al crater se localiza hacia el lado del lago, y generalmente el camino esta cubierto de maleza y cerrado al visitante. El crater es pequeno y se desconoce su profundidad, pues esta igualmente cubierto de selva y de grandes arboles. Por eso mismo la vista desde la cima es de poco radio, por la misma selva y vegetacion que cubren el contorno. Planee un viaje redondo caminata de 10 horas.

Bellamente situado en el lago de Atitlán, a través del lago de Panajchel, San Pedro hace que para una gran excursión de un día, el más fácil de los 3 volcanes a la cumbre cerca del lago. El volcán está siendo supervisado bajo una organización que maneja el turismo en toda una moda sostenible. Debido a esto usted tiene que "contratar a un guía a través de la organización, que puede ser un poco caro, a Q100 por persona. Los guías están muy bien informados y tomar pequeños grupos, que siempre es un plus. Por otra parte, sólo a pie de la carretera, más allá de la oficina de la guía, y sobre el mapa en el lado izquierdo. El sendero es muy sencillo y seguro, solo siga hasta llegar a la cumbre.  Para llegar al punto de partida, tomar un barco desde Panajchel a la pintoresca pero turístico pueblo de San Pedro, y luego un halón a la oficina de la organización. Cualquier persona en la calle señalará que el camino hasta el comienzo del sendero. Nuevos baños, guías, y la información están disponibles allí en la oficina. El ascenso toma 3-4 horas hasta la cumbre.  Para obtener más información, la oficina local INGUAT en Panajchel, ubicado en la avenida principal, que cuenta con información decente, incluyendo mapas de la zona. (Gracias especiales a BLONG para esta contribución)

 

 

Red Tape

There is no red tape. You would, however, be well advised to hire a local guide to be sure about the trail, and to be somewhat secure from the robbers.

When To Climb

You can climb this volcano anytime of the year. The best months are from late October until early april.

Se puede subir este volcán en cualquier momento del año. Los mejores meses son desde finales de octubre hasta principios de abril.

Camping

There are two that I know from the middle to the top. One is in the very opening of the crater, if it is dry, there can be settled 3 or 4 tents (depending of the size of them), and in the very top is another one, it's better, but a bit smaller.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
osatrik

osatrik - Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Trailhead Now Well Marked

There is now a shelter, exhibit, restrooms, and small parking area at the trailhead, and the trail up from there is very easy to follow.

Yvonne

Yvonne - Oct 31, 2022 1:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Clear Trail - Safety Still a Concern

Be advised, the entrance fee is Q100 per person for foreigners. This no longer includes a guide, but the trail is very well marked with painted stones and signs. There is a two story overlook, a tire swing, and multiple latrines on the way up. Four policemen patrol parts of the path. There is a campground near the summit, but I wouldn't recommend camping there due to the security risks. Ask around to see if there have been a lot of holdups lately. Don't take valuables, or hide them before reaching 2,800 meters. You can request an escort with the tourism police by calling 1500 three days in advance.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.