Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.10000°N / 19.00000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7588 ft / 2313 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

North FaceNorth Face of Savin Kuk (2313 m)
An easy hike.
From Sljeme


Savin Kuk (2313 m) is one of the most beautiful, most recognized, most photographed and most visited peaks on DURMITOR. Savin Kuk is an unfailing part of famous and incredible panorama view above Crno Jezero (Black Lake, 1416 m), which contain also a Medjed (2287 m) peak. It's beautiful triangle shaped peak on the left from Medjed peak, dominates above amazing beauty of Crno Jezero, which is surrounded with beautifully black pine trees forest. Tipical scenery of Canadian mountain lakes. This panorama is trademark of Durmitor and Montenegro.

Savin Kuk is one of most visited peaks because of the chair lift that climbs high up its eastern slopes and stops only hundred meters below the summit, near Savina Voda (Sava's Water spring). Chair lift is part of Durmitor Ski Center which contribute to beauty of the eastern side of Savin Kuk.

As just mentioned Savin Kuk, together with 2 kilometres long high rocky plateau Sljeme (2455m), makes eastern edge of central Durmitor area. Savin Kuk is large peak. It's E side is highest. It rises some 800 m above the Jezerska Povrs (Plateau of Lakes). This side is called Cista Strana (Clean Side).

Eastern side of Savin Kuk'Cista Strana' (Clean Side) of Savin Kuk


Chair lift is on this side. On the S is impressive and beautiful Sljeme (2455m) or "mountain within a mountain". From it Savin Kuk is separated by narrow and steeply rising scree valley called Korita. In winter here is ski track. On top of it is pass which separates the summit of Savin Kuk from Sljeme. On the W it falls with few hundred meters high West Face into the northern part of Velika Kalica valley. N is most beautiful. 500 m high impressive North Face of Savin Kuk is most impressive and falls into the basin of Mala Kalica.


NAME LEGEND:

Savin Kuk peak got it's name from Serbian Prince Rastko Nemanjic (read Nemanjich). Prince Rastko Nemanjic left the worldly life and became monk. Other monks in monastery gave him the new spiritual name - SAVA. After that, he had the very important and successfull role of spiritual lider and guiding light of Serbian people. In that time, his father Stefan Nemanjic was King of Kingdom of Serbia.

Western side of Savin Kuk...Savin Kuk (2313 m) from Medjed (2287 m)


During his monks and spiritual life, Sava became a Saint and Serbian people called him Sveti Sava, what means Saint Sava. During his long spiritual life, Sveti Sava (former Prince of Serbian Kingdom) have been many times on Durmitor mountain, specially on Savin Kuk summit. People say that this place was his favorite place for his spiritual peace, silence and prayers. Once, he was walking to Savin Kuk summit with his young disciple. They was sitting on the grass and take a break for a meal. His disciple wanted to eat onion and Sveti Sava was putting his cane on the ground and making a cross. After that, onion came from the ground. Also, his disciple was thirsty, and again, Sveti Sava was putting his cane on the ground, making the cross and water spring was born. Till today, because of this incredible God's miracle, people believe that this water spring Savina Voda (Sava's Water, 2212 m) have a healthy power. Each year, on Ilindan - August 2nd, people going to Savina Voda water spring with chair lift or by walk with faith that this water will give them happiness, health and spiritual peace and bless. People put this water in the bottles and save this water till next Ilindan, till next year. People use this water as some kind of protection from every evil or bad influences. Also, i can underwrite that if you will take this water and save it one year in the bottle, after that time water will be still fresh. That's my personal experience.


SUMMIT VIEW:

From Savin Kuk (2313 m) summit you will enjoy in privilege of extraordinary view to highest peaks of Durmiror massif.

E summit view look to Jezerska Povrs (Lakes Plateau), Riblje Lake, Vrazje Lake and Sinjajevina Mountain.

W summit view look to Terzin Bogaz (2303 m), Minin Bogaz (2387 m), Bobotov Kuk (2523 m) and Bezimeni Vrh (2487 m). This is view to central massif of Durmitor.

 Bobotov Kuk (2523 m) and...Bobotov Kuk & Bezimeni Vrh from Savin Kuk


S summit view look to Bandijerna (2409 m) peak, Sljeme 2455 m), Zupci (2309 m) and Milosev Tok (2426 m), and to beautiful glacier cirque Velika Kalica (1870 m), where is placed famous glacier Debeli Namet, which is all time under snow and ice.

N summit view look to Crno Jezero (Black Lake, 1416 m), Jezerska Povrs (Lakes Plateau) and to Tara river canyon.

 

 Medjed from Savin Kuk
Medjed (2287 m) from Savin Kuk
Snowboarding on Savin Kuk
View to Sinjajevina and Jezerska Povrs


 

 Crno Jezero (Black Lake,...
View to Crno Jezero and Zabljak town
 Bandijerna (2409 m) on...
View to Sljeme and Bandijerna



All views are specific and wonderful, but most impressive is western view to highest peaks of Durmitor central massif.


Routes Overview

To reach Savin Kuk (2313 m) summit you choose from ski chair lift or hiking by walk.

~ Crno Jezero (1416 m) - Tocak water spring - Mioc Poljana (1569 m) - Derneci - Savina Voda water spring (Sava's Water, 2212 m) - Savin Kuk (2313 m). Time: 3 h

~ Sljeme (Istocni Vrh, East Summit, 2445 m) - Zdrijelo couloir - Savin Kuk (2313 m). Time: 45 min


Getting There

Gateway for climbing Savin Kuk (2313 m) peak in DURMITOR massif is Zabljak town. Information how to get there:

By Plane
~To Beograd (Belgrade, Serbia&Montenegro capital) airport. Than with plane to Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, or with bus or car to Zabljak town.
~To Podgorica airport. Than with bus or car to Zabljak town.

Information about flights find on the sites of JAT Airways, a former Yugoslav airlines, or on Montenegro Airlines.

By Bus
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Zabljak
~Podgorica-Zabljak
~Niksic-Zabljak
~Pljevlja-Zabljak

Buses go to Zabljak from Beograd (Belgrade) twice a day and from Podgorica, Niksic, Pljevlja and Mojkovac several times per day.

By Car
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Zlatibor-Nova Varos-Prijepolje-Pljevlja-Zabljak
~Niksic - Savnik (47km) - Zabljak (37km): 84km; Niksic to Zabljak approach from south.
~Niksic - Savnik (35km) - Zabljak (37km): 72km;
~Podgorica - Niksic (55 km)-Savnik (47 km)-Zabljak (37 km): 139 km; Add this length if you are going to Zabljak from Podgorica via Niksic. Road to Niksic from Podgorica is good.
~Podgorica - Kolasin (71km) - Mojkovac (21km) - Zabljak (67km): 159km; road is good all the way to Zabljak. Behind Podgorica (56m) you go inside Moraca River canyon (one of spectacular Montenegrin canyons). It is up to 1000m deep and has wild sides. That's spectacular drive. After that, from "Djurdjevica Tara" bridge to Zabljak - 23 km.


When To Climb

Durmitor s massif from Savin KukDurmitor massif from Savin Kuk


You can climb during all year seasons, but ideal period for climbing is mid June - mid September.

During the winter, Durmitor usually switches into ski resort. Under Savin Kuk peak (2313 m) is Durmitor Ski Center. (gondolas, ski lifts, chair lifts, restorants and their customers).

Crno Jezero (Black Lake) location is a common climbing starting point. All major trails further uphill are well marked with white circle/red border marks.

Whole Durmitor mountain is very good marked. Thanks to Branislav Cerovic, greatest knower and devoter of Durmitor National Park, who marked all routes on Durmitor mountain.


Camping

Inside of Durmitor National Park camping is permitted on camping dedicated spots only.

Major huts are in good condition, but with no service. Still, open to the general public. Hikers/climbers are supposed to bring all the jummy stuff with them.

On Durmitor exist camp in Ivan Do and few ~mountain huts and bivouacs:
~Hut with few small shepherd's houses in Lokvice valley
~Hut in Skrcka Lakes valley
~Bivouac in Velika Kalica valley
~Hut "Mushova koliba" on the road from Zabljak to Obla Glava (2303 m) peak, near Ledena Pechina (Ice Cave) - empty simply hut from wood, without service, simple conditions...

~In Ivan Do camp price for camping is 4 Euro per day.

Also, in Zabljak town you can rent private room or apartment. Price for 2-beds apartment with kitchen and bathroom: 10-12 Euro (5-6 Euro per person).

In some villages on mountain, for example in Bosaca village, you can rent a 2-beds apartment for price 6-8 Euro (3-4 Euro per person) with free milk products every day (1 liter of caw milk).


Mountain Conditions

Durmitor (Zabljak town) 5-7 days weather forecast


Red Tape

No fees or extra fees for entering the National Park.
No permits needed either.
Usual rules of behaviour for NPs do apply.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DurmitorMountains & Rocks