Angeles Crest Fire Station Trailhead

Angeles Crest Fire Station Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2320 ft / 707 m

OVERVIEW

This trailhead is one of the closest trailheads to the major urban areas of the San Gabriel Valley and affords access to a network of trails in the front range of the San Gabriel Mountains.

Initially, the trailhead provides access to the Mt. Lukens Fire Road and then to the several other trails that branch out from that fire road. The Mt. Lukens Fire Road provides a 7.5-mile route to Mt. Lukens (elev. 5,074 ft). Along the way, there are good views of the popular Strawberry Peak (elev. 6,064 ft.) to the northeast as depicted by this photo:
Foliage Framing Strawberry Peak




From Mt. Lukens, one can drop down into Tujunga via the Haines Canyon Fire Road (about 5.4 miles) or take the Stone Canyon Trail north about 2.7 miles down to the Wildwood Picnic Area.

At about 2.4 miles on the Lukens Fire Road from the trailhead, there is a connector trail that goes down to La Canada. At 3.8 miles, there is a junction with a fire road designated “2N8”. The latter fire road comes up from the La Crescenta area.

At about 4.5 miles from the trailhead, the Lukens Fire Road meets the Grizzly Flat Road. The Grizzly Flat Road goes north. From the Grizzly Flat Road, one can continue northwest to the Grizzly Flat Trail, which trail will take you, in about 4 miles, to the area of the Big Tujunga River near the Stonyvale and Vogel Flat Picnic Areas. Alternatively, one can take a road/trail that veers northeast for several miles from the Grizzly Flat Road and takes you to Clear Creek. Clear Creek provides access to the Josephine Fire Road and Josephine Peak (elev. 5,558 ft.)

DRIVING DIRECTIONS

Going either east or west on the 210 Freeway, take the Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2) exit and go north about 4 miles to the Angeles Crest Fire Station which is on the left side of the road. There is limited parking in front of the station.

From the parking area walk between the fire station structures on a paved driveway for about 100 yards. The Mt. Lukens Fire Road (designated “2N76”) begins right past the white gate at the end of the driveway.

There is access to this fire road year-round.

RED TAPE

You will need an Adventure Pass to park your vehicle at the trailhead. Although Adventure Passes are sold at some trailheads in the San Gabriel Mountains, they are not sold at this trailhead. The nearest place to purchase one ($5 per day or $30 for a yearly pass) is at Sport Chalet down the hill in La Canada.

ACCESSIBILITY TO TRAILHEAD

This trailhead is accessible year-round. Due to its relatively low elevation, the trailhead, and its driving approach, stays snow-free even during winter.

EXTERNAL LINKS

Angeles National Forest

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.