Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.41525°N / 11.71117°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6532 ft / 1991 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

BärenkopfSonnjoch from Bärenkopf summit ascent (02-11-2008)


Bärenkopf is the easternmost summit of Karwendel. Its altitude is not outstanding in comparision to the main Karwendel peaks but it stands alone as a summit and offers very nice views so I think it is worth while mentioning - and climbing.

Bärenkopf is the highest point of a secondary ridge of the Rappenspitze - Stanser Joch ridge, the easternmost subgroup of the Karwendel mountains. The ridges are connected by Weißenbachsattel (1693 m), an important traverse in this subgroup. Bärenkopf is northeast of this ridge.

Bärenkopf stands south of Achensee, the fjord-like lake above Stans / Inn valley. Maurach and Pertisau are the main villages in the Achensee valley and there are also the trailheads for Bärenkopf.

Getting There

Stanser JochBärenkopf from Stanser Joch (02-11-2008)

Take the Inn valley highway from Innsbruck or from Rosenheim / Kufstein exiting at Wiesing and follow Bundesstraße 181 to Maurach / Rofan cableway.

From Munich, follow highway 8 direction Salzburg until exit Holzkirchen. Take Bundesstraße 307 / 318 to Tegernsee, Kreuth, Achenpass and Austrian Bundesstraße 181 to Maurach.

At Maurach / Rofan cableway follow the road to Pertisau.

You reach the first trailhead if you take the first road left after the traffic circle. It crosses the railways and goes strait to Maurach - Lärchenwiese. At the end of the paved road there are some possibilities to park the car. The road goes on into Weißenbachtal, its a forest dirt road closed to traffic.
The second trailhead is at the Zwölferkopf cableway at Pertisau. There is a huge parking area, I think you have to pay. If so, do it :-)

Red Tape

BärenkopfBärenkopf summit trail (02-11-2008)

Bärenkopf is not part of the Karwendel National Park but it is a wilderness area (Landschaftsschutzgebiet). So there may be some restrictions on camping, collecting plants.......

Camping / Staying overnight

BärenkopfAchensee from Bärenkopf summit (02-11-2008)

At Maurach there are two camping sites.

At Pertisau and Maurach there are many Hotels and Bed & Breakfast.

External Links

[img:474961:alignleft:medium:Achensee from Bärenkopf summit (02-11-2008)]
Informations about Maurach

Informations about Pertisau

Cableway Pertisau

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.