Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

[Note: August 2020. I adopted this page after it was orphaned by the original author. I have made no substantive changes to it - utahjimk]

 

23 July 1849: "One of Flack's oxen was left to die. The road this morning led over a low mountain. We had to double teams in crossing the summit. It is one mile of heavy hauling. After passing over the summit the descent is very steep and we had to lock both wheels". Start where the early pioneers of Utah saw their first glimpse of the Salt Lake Valley. From your vehicle (or handcart company), one can hike north of Big Mountain Pass for a quick trip to Big Mountain and big views. This is the Great Western Trail so you can continue beyond if you have more time.

Big MountainBig Mountain from Little Mountain

Getting There

From I-80 in Parleys Canyon, take the East Canyon Exit 134 (Highway 65) north 8 miles to Big Mountain Pass. Park in the large dirt lot at this historic pass.

Big Mountain Pass MapBig Mountain Map

Route

For Big Mountain, cross the road and start up the trail gaining elevation quickly. The first half mile is a majority of the elevation gain for this trip. Soon you top out on ridges, working across much easier terrain to the base of Big Mountain. About half this route is shaded so start early if hiking up in summer. The trail skirts below the summit around 100 feet or so. Leave the trail wherever it looks good or hike the trail to the ridge and work back. The summit is completely bald so views are all around.  

Trail & Big Mountain
Trail & Big Mountain
Trail with distant Wasatch Peaks
Trail & Wasatch Peaks
Views from the trail
On the trail
The Great Western Trail
Great Western Trail
View Northeast
NE to Deadox BM
Grandview & Lookout Peaks
Grandview & Lookout Peaks
NW to Swallow Rocks Peaks
NW to Swallow Rocks
Wasatch Central Peaks
Central Wasatch Mountains
East to Lewis Peak
East to Lewis Peak
View North
View North
SE to Park City areaSE to the Park City area

External Links