Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.20000°N / 111.882°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9572 ft / 2918 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Ogden is one of the higher and more prominent peaks in the northern Wasatch range. It is also home to Snowbasin ski resort, the home of the 2002 Olympic downhill ski races. The peak offers a number of hiking routes, as well as technical rock climbing routes on it's east face. Excellent crack and face climbing can be found. Some very large radio towers and a small helicopter pad mark the summit. A nice side trip is to cross the connecting ridge to Allen Peak (elev. 9,465'), where you can visit the starting house/gates for the men's and women's downhill olympic ski races.

Of the hiking routes, the Snowbasin route is the shortest and requires the least vertical gain. The routes up Beus, Taylor and Waterfall Canyons are long, each climbing roughly 4,500 feet with sections where the trails fade.


Getting There


From Harrison Boulevard, access these trails from the following streets:

Beus Canyon - east end of 46th street.
Waterfall Canyon - top of 29th street.
Taylor Canyon - top of 27th street, park carefully to not disrupt homeowners.

To get to Snowbasin:

From the south: Take I-15 northbound and exit to northbound US-89 (exit #326). Merge to I-84 eastbound and exit at Mountain Green (exit #92). Continue east on Old Highway and turn left on State Road 167 heading north (just east of the Sinclair station). Turn left on State Road 226 heading west and proceed approximately three miles to Snowbasin.

From the north: Take I-15 southbound and exit to I-84 eastbound (exit #343). Proceed east on I-84 and exit at Mountain Green (exit #92). Continue east on Old Highway and turn left on State Road 167 heading north (just east of the Sinclair station). Turn left on State Road 226 heading west and proceed approximately three miles to Snowbasin

Red Tape


No major problems. All trails are wide open to public, with good trailheads.

When To Climb


The routes up the front side (Taylor, Waterfall and Beus) are all generally snow-free around Memorial Day. Snowbasin holds snow well into June. You can hike all the trails well into October most years.

Camping


After taking one of the three standard approaches towards the peak camping spots can be found near the top of the porcupine chairlift or at the top of the john paul area in the bowl. Its not wilderness, but it is national forest; no permits required. check with the ogden ranger district to learn of any specific restrictions regarding fires and what not (as these things change according to water condtitions and season).

Mountain Conditions


Check Snowbasin's website for current conditions (www.snowbasin.com).

Miscellaneous Info


Maintainence crews working for Snowbasin may be encoutered, if you simply stay out of their way and you shouldn.t have any trouble.

restrictions


No horses, for purposes of maintaining the watershed.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
imontop

imontop - Dec 19, 2003 9:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I've been on this peak several times, and the best routes are the Taylor Canyon and Buess Canyon routes. The Snowbasin trails are too easy and don't offer much of a challenge. Heck, it's a road! From the SLC Airport, it's about a 40 min drive north on I-15. Take the 31st street exit eastbound and then head straight east until you reach Harrison Blvd. Then turn right then make a left on to 26th street and follow it to the end, this is the trail head for Taylor Canyon. The trail is well used all the way to Maylan's basin, then your on your own, straight up the west face. It's pretty steep and rugged, but not rocky. The west face is barren, with very few trees. The Buess trail is further south, same side of the mountain, and alot better. Trails pretty good all the way to the top of the ridge, then it's a scamper to the north to reach the peak. Can't remember the street address though for the trailhead. It's forest land, camping allowed, but not very many good places. If hiking in mid-summer watch out for rattlers!!

oregonrpa

oregonrpa - Jul 31, 2005 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Made this trek on 7-29-05. The Beus Canyon trail is the most scenic of the routes to Mt. Ogden. The trail is now easy to follow all the way to the top. I would recommend wearing pants as the low-lying oakbrush encroaches on the trail and wreaks havoc on unprotected shins! The roundtrip hike can be completed in much less than the stated "all-day" time allotment. I made the ascent in 2 hours (picking up the pace at times with light running), and the descent in 1:16. The scenery is beautiful along the way, and the trail is in the shade for the first half or so. Taking a bicycle would be next to impossible in my opinion, unless you like to carry your bike most of the time and get on and off constantly. I encountered one other person on the lower portion of the trail, otherwise it was strictly a solo trek (left 46th street trailhead at 4 pm to start summit hike). Great hike overall.

cjparker12 - Aug 31, 2019 1:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt. Ogden trip

We hiked to the peak this morning starting at 7:15 and made it to the peak by 10:00 a.m. I didn’t have my watch with me, so I don’t know exact mileage. We followed the service road up from Snow Basin and followed the directions in the Snow Basin route. It says you’ll come to a fork and the left side will take you to the Needles Lodge, so stay to the right. About 1/2 mile past that point, we approached another fork and went left up to the saddle. It looks like there is another lodge being built to the north of Needles Lodge. If you followed the road to the right, it looked like it would take you to that new lodge, and you wouldn’t be able to make it to the summit. It was an awesome hike, and we rode the Gondola from Needles Lodge down for free!

cjparker12 - Aug 31, 2019 1:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt. Ogden trip

We hiked to the peak this morning starting at 7:15 and made it to the peak by 10:00 a.m. I didn’t have my watch with me, so I don’t know exact mileage. We followed the service road up from Snow Basin and followed the directions in the Snow Basin route. It says you’ll come to a fork and the left side will take you to the Needles Lodge, so stay to the right. About 1/2 mile past that point, we approached another fork and went left up to the saddle. It looks like there is another lodge being built to the north of Needles Lodge. If you followed the road to the right, it looked like it would take you to that new lodge, and you wouldn’t be able to make it to the summit. It was an awesome hike, and we rode the Gondola from Needles Lodge down for free!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (North)Mountains & Rocks