OverviewCathedral Spires area offer 10 seperate formation to climb with approaches from a 2 minute walk down the road to over an hour of 30+ degree loose pebbles taking an hour to reach.
The most prominate feature of this area must be Cynical Pinnacle, There's a large parking lot at the base of the Cathedral Spires area.
Areas Included in this area are
- Angle Iron Slabs
- Poop Slab
- Poop Point
- Snake Butress
- Bad Ju Ju Formation
- Cynical Pinnacle
- Poe Butress
- Hall Of Mirrors
- Sunshine Face
- Block Tower
Cynical PinnacleThis area offers 5.9 to 5.12b climbing with Trad being the major option.
The highlight of this area hands down must be Cynical Pinnacle. Breathtaking just looking at the formation, it has incredible multi pitch climbs well worth any climber to try.
The Center Route ***5.9+ Trad is a must for "Classic Climbs"
Angle Iron Slab
Angle Iron Slab is located directly north on the road 150' from the parking lot.
There are 2 notable climbs here.
One on the main flat slab that is 5.7R with 2 old bolts and a large rock for anchors
There is a 5.10R with one bolt on the right side of the main slab near the fixed poles in the rock
Getting ThereFrom Denver:
- C-470 & Hampden(285), travel South on 285(west bound)
14.5 Miles to Foxton Road (Kennedy Gulch)
- Take the exit and travel under the highway due south 8.2 Miles
- Once at Platte River Rd (RD 96) Turn right and travel 2.4 Miles to Large Parking lot on Right side of road
Red TapeThis as many of South Platte areas is closed March 1 through July 31 due to Raptor Nesting
CampingCamping is allowed in designated areas only.
- Osprey Campground ($7 off season $13 high season)
- Wigwam Campground ($7 off season $13 high season)
- Top Of The World Campground (CLOSED)
- Buffalo Creek Campground ($ Unknown)
- Rampart Range Rd ($ Unknown)
- Wellington Lake ($ Unknown)
- Primitave campgrounds can be found on some of the side roads in the area as well
This area has been all but obliterated since 1996 when the Buffalo Creek Fire ravaged a good portion of the north end of Platte Canyon. More recently the Hayman fire (Colorados largest wildfire in history) ravaged the southern end including Turkey Rocks, Cheesman Res, and some great four wheeling areas.
What's around here?
- Peregrine Falcon's Nest here, They are some of the most beautiful animals around. They are also the fastest flying animals on earth, with speeds of up to 200mph they are a sight to see no doubt. Please respect they're habbitat and do not access this area durring they're breeding season. These Falcons are an endangered species and should be respected. with a life span of up to 13 years only 40% of those born survive through they're first winter.
- Bald Eagles also inhabit this area but not the Cathedral Spires area directly. I have seen them closer to Dome Rock, there is a nest which I have found but will not say exactly where. These eagles, if you are quiet enough and lucky enough soar the canyon generally between 6:00am to about 8:00am, I have seen her many times just floating through the canyon doing her rounds make make sure all is well in her canyon. Certainly a spectacle to see, (the largest one) has a wing span of probably 8' and almost certainly can not be mistaken for any other bird in this area. To my knowledge there are 4 Bald Eagles from Cheeseman Res. To Buffalo Creek. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.... You MIGHT just see one of them
- Deer are in abundance here as well
- Cougars are VERY FEW and far between BUT in my 14+ years of traveling this area I HAVE seen one cougar down here and my oh my was she BIG!!!
Credit where Credit is dueDetailed information beyond what memory serves was from.
Peter Hubbel's "South Platte Rock Climbers Guide"
Many thanks to Mr. Hubbel if he reads this, your book has served me well for over 6 years of wonderful climbing in this area
Let me know!If you have any information or additions to this page feel free to let me know!. There are over 50 climbs this this 1\2 mile area.
It will be a work in progress for a long time!
Additions and Corrections[ Post an Addition or Correction ]