Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.83730°N / 107.7904°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13380 ft / 4078 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Sitting at about 9,300 feet, SIlverton, Colorado is surrounded by amazing summits and San Juan County is home to some of the most rugged peaks in Colorado. Therefore, easily overshadowed by the summits of Ice Lakes Basin to the south, and big brother, Lookout Peak to the north, South Lookout Peak is often forgot. This shy peak is not to be taken lightly. Loose rock and steep exposed pitches make this a challenging and dangerous mountain. By its' easiest route, a rope and protection are recommended.

Getting There


The best place to start the climb of South Lookout Peak is Clear Lake. From Silverton, Colorado take US 550 north for about 3 miles to a left turn for South Mineral Campground. Take this good dirt road for 3.5 miles to a well-maintained 4x4 road marked as the turn to Clear Lake. Follow this road to Clear Lake and an elevation of 11,940 feet. This is the start of the climb.

Red Tape


No permits required now, but check with the San Juan National Forest (970-247-4874 or www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan) for more information. There is ample parking at the campground. The 4x4 parking is limited. Get an early start.

When To Climb


Summer is best. Access to this peak in the winter is difficult and dangerous.

Camping


There are many good campsites along the South Mineral Road and more good camping at Clear Lake.



Maps


Ophir 7.5 USGS Quadrangle
San Juan National Forest
Uncompahgre National Forest

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
5th Class Colorado PeaksMountains & Rocks