East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.99200°N / 105.29346°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.3 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a great Flatiron route and one of Roach's classics. The East Ridge is narrow and exposed. There is a pendulum fall potential for both leader and follower with sparse places for protection. That said, it is mostly 4th class with one steeper section on the upper ridge. This description will be brief as the route is short and straight forward. Have fun!
Spy Not much protection but not too hard.

Getting There

Follow the description on the main page.

Route Description

The Spy The start.
Start roughly where the photo shows. From below, the climbing looks grungy and unpleasant. Don't worry too much, after a pitch of needles and trees the climbing improves greatly. Head up through the trees trending right. As you get higher, you will see a short wall blocking passage to the upper ridge. This obstacle can be passed on the left (5.2ish) or the right (5.4ish) and a belay can be set up on the ridge near a tree or in the gully to the left.
The Spy The wall blocking passage to the upper ridge can be seen behind a tree where the Spy breaks off from the lower slabs.
From here simply take a deep breath and tiptoe up the ridge. The crux of the route is a smooth bulge near the crest.
The Spy The bulge is the crux of the route.
From the crest it is much easier and you simply follow the top over to the true summit.
Spy Sitting on top.
Follow the descent described on the main page.
Spy Jumping off.

Essential Gear

Light rack if bringing a rope.

External Links

Cool Flatirons Webcam