Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.79640°N / 111.88846°W
Additional Information County: Salt Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5414 ft / 1650 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ensign Peak Is a low peak overlooking the Salt Lake City from the north. It stays snow free a great deal of the time in the winter, and is hikeable year round, but is most popular from early spring through late fall. Popular for ceremonies and commemorations, the site has a long and very interesting history, dating back to the Mormon pioneers who settled this area. A tall stone monument has been erected on this site. A short, casual hike can offer spectacular views of the city.
Ensign Monument

Getting There

The easiest route up ensign peak is to start from the city-owned land along Greenstroke Drive, just northwest of the Mormon chapel. Ensign Peak itself, and the route to the summit through the grassy slopes is very obvious from here. Expect 1/2 hour of casual hiking to take you to the top. This one is pretty easy, but it's worth it, due to its relative proximity to downtown Salt Lake. The view at night time is fantastic.

Red Tape

Everything about this hike is free. Just go and enjoy!

Camping

Camping would be fairly undesirable this close to civilization, but who am I to judge? there are no established campsites on Ensign Peak, nor in the surrounding area, since camping here would roughly amount to sleeping in someone's back yard... If you wanted to camp at the summit, go for it, but be sensitive to the fact that there are a lot of people that hike this on a regular basis...

External Links

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Ensign_Peak_7160.asp