Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 11, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Add Heading Here

We started at 7a on Sept 9th, camped at Double Lakes first night, on the second night we camped just above the last creek crossing. The weather was changing on Sept 11th, left camp about 7a, my partner turned back at base of glacier (see reasons below)
Unnamed Image
, I continued solo, took standard route up the gooseneck, the snowbridge over the bergschrund was good, stayed in the rocks after the gooseneck, topped out at 1215p, couldn't find the summit register. It started snowing on the way down, took the "skiers" right decent, which made for a longer route, back at camp at 4p.

Same route out, only saw 3 other groups in the 5 days out.

BIG pluses, the scenery was spectacular, I made the summit of Gannett, very remote feeling to whole trip (only saw 3 other parties during the 5 days out).

Negatives; horses have trashed the trail from Double Lakes to Ink Wells Trail (there was an outfitter set up at Ink Wells Trail intersection, and they seemed to be taking clients in and out every few days, with recent rain/snow plus horse shit,the trail was a mess. My partner was not able to summit Gannett, physical exhaustion and a twisted ankle :-( Last, it is what it is, but the 1 mile of boulder field before getting on the glacier was a killer. I will try the Pinedale route next time.

Comments

No comments posted yet.