Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.45000°N / 115.07°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8200 ft / 2499 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Grizzly Peak is the unofficial name for the peak just west of Mount Evan-Thomas in the Kananaskis Valley of Kananaskis Provincial Park.

This easy climb offers fantastic views of the Opal Range, King Creek Ridge, and The Wedge, along with distant Upper Kananaskis Lakes, Mount Joffre, Mount Sarrail, and Northover Ridge.

This is a great afternoon/summer evening scramble, and would be a great place to see wildlife, as it is an aesthetically pleasing location with lush greenery and gorgeous wildflowers! If the weather is good, the summit, as well as the col, is a great place to kick back and relax and also explore the ridge.

Getting There


From Calgary head west on the Trans-Canada Highway. Take the Kananskis Trail exit (Hwy 40) and travel south for 40.7 km to the Fortress Mountain Shell gas station. Continue south for approximately 4.5 km to unsigned Ripple Creek, which is between signed Grizzly Creek and Hood Creek. Park on the left (east) shoulder of the highway. You will see the trail starting up the hill on the left (north) side of Ripple Creek.


Red Tape


Because Kananaskis is a Provincial Park there are no permits or fees required to access the park for day use. There are no fees for parking unless you choose to leave valuables in your car and they get stolen.

This is grizzly country, so certain trails will often be closed due to bear activity in the area. It is advisable to check conditions before heading out. A simple stop on the way in at the Barrier Lake information centre to check the bulletin board postings is a good idea. OR visit the Kananaskis Country website.

When To Climb


As holds true for most of this area, the best time to climb is from June through to late fall, depending on how late winter begins.

Camping


Eau Claire Campground on Hwy 40 is the closest camping in this area and is open from May long weekend through Labour Day long weekend in September. Call 1-866-366-2267 for reservations or more information. Camping outside of designated areas is prohibited in Kananaskis Country.

Mountain Conditions


You can find information for Kananaskis Country at the Kananaskis Country website.

Barrie Lake Visitor Information Centre:
Phone (403) 673-3985 (toll free in Alberta 310-0000)

Elbow Valley Information Centre:
Phone: (403) 949-4261 (toll free in Alberta 310-0000)



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.