Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.57860°N / 118.293°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 21, 2003
Trip report one day-er 6-21 Six of us started at 4am from the portal on Sat. June 21, 56 degrees. We spilt into teams of two prior to the switch backs, I was in team two. We used the 5 mile radios and they worked great even from the Summit down to Trail Camp. Make sure you use a radio with a squelch control so you can hear weaker signals. Coldest temperature was 46 up to Trail Crest. The cold wind howled from Trail Crest to Summit. Not much snow left anywhere and I did not use gaitors. Lots of water on some parts of the trail so my waterproof boots worked great. The majority of the climb I was in shorts and short sleeve shirt, no cotton. At Trail Crest I put on my windproof fleece pants and gloves and a shell jacket. I soon took off the pants because they were too baggy and kept falling down. I was cold at the summit with shorts at 2PM but not too bad. Windproof clothes are a must past Trail Crest. Team 3, the slowest, turned back 1/3 of the way up the 99 switchbacks. Team 1 made the summit with no problems. My partner came down with altitude sickness on the switchbacks but made it past Trail Crest before he turned around and headed down. Having 4 radios between the 6 of us was great because we were able to keep in contact and know where every one was and how they were doing with no worries about getting lost or unknown injuries. I was on the summit at 2 pm and was back at the Portal at 8:30 pm. Overall it was 10 hours up and 6 down. Make sure you have sun protection as I forgot my hat and have several sun blisters on my head. I took 4-32 ounces bottles and never refilled, heavy but I hate the chemicals. For food I took lots of protein\energy bars and caffeinated ‘sports gue\shots’. Had lots of gas and suggest GasX. This was my 2nd one day summit since ’99. Next, team 1 and I will do Mt Rainier July 26!!!

Comments

No comments posted yet.