Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.44280°N / 19.81230°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8428 ft / 2569 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Maja PopluksThe massif of Maja Popluks (2569 m)

Bieshka e nemuna -  Maja e Popljuces,  2569 mMaja Popluks

The massif of PROKLETIJE (BJESHKET E NEMUNA) stretches on the territories of the three countries - Montenegro, Serbia (Kosovo area) and Albania. Actually, that incredible range is a natural border between these three countries. The highest peaks of that range are placed in Albanian part of massif. One of them is Maja Popluks (2569 m)(Maja e Popljuces, Pop-Lukin vrh). That beautiful peak is one of the closest neighbour of the highest peak of Prokletije (Bjeshket e Nemuna) range Maja Jezerce (2694 m)(Jezerski Vrh). Maja Popluks proudly dominates above beautiful Valbona Valley, which is for sure one of the most wonderful valley of that range.

Maja Popluks is surrounded by many impressive peaks as are Maja Jezerce (2694 m), Maja Hekurave (2625 m), Majet e Zabores (massif with 10 peaks above 2400 m), Maja Briaset (2567 m)(Brijac), Maja Shnikut (2554 m)(Nikacki Vrh), Maja Radohines (2570 m), Maja Livades (2496 m) and Maja Malisores (2490 m)(Malisorski Vrh). Also, it's neighbourhood is enriched by amazing Valbona Valley.

Summit View

Maja PopluksMaja Popluks (2569 m) from Qatat e verlla false summit

The summit of Maja Popluks (2569 m)(Pop-Lukin vrh) offers many beautifully summit views and panoramas. Three are most impressive - view to Maja Jezerce (2694 m) , to Maja Hekurave (2625 m) & Maja Briaset (2567 m)(Brijac) and to Valbona Valley.
Maja Popluks from Maja JezerceMaja Popluks from Maja Jezerce summit

N: Maja Jezerce (2694 m)(Jezerski Vrh)

N-NW: Maja Malisores (2490 m)(Malisorski Vrh)

NW: Maja Shnikut (2554 m)(Nikacki Vrh)

NE: Maja Ragomit (2472 m)

E: Maja Hekurave (2625 m), Majet e Zabores (massif with 10 peaks above 2400 m), Valbona Valley

SE: Maja Briaset (2567 m)(Brijac)

S: Thethi Valley

SE: Maja Radohines (2570 m), Maja Livades (2496 m)

Routes Overview

Theti Valley-Qafe Pejes route to Maja Popluks (2569 m).
Maja popluksThethi-Qafe Pejes route - Part II
Maja popluksThethi-Qafe Pejes route - Part I






Getting There

Descent from Maja JezerceDescent with Maja Popluks (2569 m) in the background

Approaching to Maja Popluks (2569 m) you can choose between the two appraoches - from Montenegro and from Albania. The approach from Montenegro is more convinient.

FROM MONTENEGRO:

In Ropojana ValleyRopojana Valley
The last sun is shining to...Maja Popluks

Gusinje - Vusanje - Ropojana Valley - Zastan hut - Buni e Jezerce valley - Qafa e Pejes pass - The heart of Albanian massif - Maja Popluks

Gateway to Prokletije and Maja Popluks (2567 m) are Plav town and Gusinje town and Ropojana Valley. Information how to get there:

By Plane
~To Beograd (Belgrade, Serbia&Montenegro capital) airport. Than with plane to Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, or with bus or car to Plav town.
~To Podgorica airport. Than with bus or car to Plav town and after to Gusinje town.

Information about flights find on the sites of JAT Airways, a former Yugoslav airlines, or on Montenegro Airlines.

By Bus
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Plav
~Podgorica-Plav

Majestic Maja Popluks3 summits of Maja Popluks (2569 m)

By train
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Bijelo Polje. Than with bus or with car (rent a car) to Plav and Gusinje.

By car
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Kraljevo-Novi Pazar-Plav-Gusinje.
~Podgorica-Kolasin-Andrijevica-Plav-Gusinje

Gusinje town and Plav town (in Montenegro) are the main destinations you would head first. In Gusinje you can buy everything (food, shampoo, soap, clothes,... and many other things), all what you need for few days of trekking and climbing inside of Prokletije massif.

From Gusinje town you can go deeper in Prokletije massif through the Ropojana Valley (with entry permit of montenegrin and albanian police which you get in police station in Gusinje town).

FROM ALBANIA:

Pejës pass with a view to Maja PopluksMaja Popluks from Qafa Pejes pass

Thethi ValleyThethi Valley
North Albanian AlpsBoga Valley toward Thethi Valley
Maja PopluksFrom Maja Jezerce
North Albanian AlpsMaja Popluks from S

1. S-SW approach (by car):
-Tirana (Albania capital-Mother Teresa International Airport)-Shkoder: 116 km, asphalt road.
-Skhoder-Koplik:18 km
-Koplik accross the Qafa Thores pass (important connection between major glacial valleys, Boge north, Shala south, Valbona east, and gateway for the Thethi valley: 80 km of macadam road. Very difficult road for driving.
-Thethi Valley-Qafa e Pejes pass-Maja Popluks (2569 m)
2. Qafa Shilahut pass (Shkoder-Prizren road), then turn left for Fjerze, over the bridge accross the Drin river to Bajram Curri and further till Valbone at the end of the Valbone valley. Qafa Shilahut-Valbone: 80 km of macadam road.

Camping

Ropojanski Zastan hutRopojanski Zastan hut

If you are approaching Maja Popluks (2569 m) from Montenegro, you can stay in Ropojanski Zastan hut on the end of Ropojana Valley, near Montenegrin/Albanian border. Ask in Gusinje town and in Plav town for getting the key of that hut. If you approaching Maja Popluks from Albania, you can freely use your tent in Boga Valley, Thethi Valley and also inside the massif of Albanian Prokletije, at the foot of Maja Popluks.

Maps

Map showing the south route...Maja Popluks area
Sattelite map of Prokletije...Prokletije map

Red Tape

Maja PopluksView to Maja Popluks

You're in border country and if you approaching Maja Popluks from Montenegro will have to ask for military permits to visit certain (Albanian) parts of the range, where is highest peak of Prokletije massif - Jezerski Vrh/Maja Jezerce/Lake Peak (2694 m) and Maja Popluks (2569 m). Entry permit you can get in the police station in Gusinje town and in the Plav town.

Weather Conditions

The best local weather forecast (4 times daily) for Prokletije (Plav town) on VREME YUBC NET

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.