Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.79386°N / 0.10519°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10085 ft / 3074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pic MaouClimbing Maou

The Pic Maou is the souther peak of the ridge of Pic Long. It seems small in comparation with Pic Badet (3,160m) or Pic Long (3,192m) but it's a nice rocky peak and it's a main summit according with the list of UIAA of three-thousand of Pyrenees.
It's normally climbed in combination with Pic Badet (PD-) because it's a little easier (F+).
Maou, Badet and Pic LongMaou, Badet and P.Long



Getting There

From France:
-west and NW: Pau, Tarbes and you take the exit in Lannemezan to Arreau, St Lary Soulan (indication Tunnel de Aragnouet-Bielsa Espagne). D929 to St Lary and before Aragnouet in the village of Fabian is the road to Lac d’Oredon and Reserve Nature de Néouvielle. In the crossroad of the lakes you follow in left side to Cap de Long (right is to Lac d’Oredon and Lac d’Aubert).

-east or NE: Toulousse, from Toulousse in direction to Tarbes but in Lannemezan you take the same road.

From Spain:

-west and NW: go to France across Irun and take the road to Pau-Tarbes and you follow the same itinerary of west of France. It’s longer but it had good highways (pay). It’s possible a shorter route in direction to Huesca but you have some cols and the road is not highway.

-South, East: you go to province of Huesca. N240 to Barbastro and Ainsa. A138 to Bilesa. Across tunnel Bielsa-Aragnouet you entry in France. After the village of Aragnouet you reach Fabian.


see bigger map

Red Tape

The Nature park of Néouvielle is a great area with rules for the accesses, activities and places of camping.

In summer the access to trailhead in Cap de Long is closed from 9:30 to 18 and you must to use (and pay) the bus.

The parking in Lac d'Oredon is paying and it's a step necessary to reach the Lac d'Aubert. You must to pay to exit before the 18h (5 € for more than 5 hours).

Camping

Camping:

-Free camping area in Lac d'Orédon:
If you want to climb some peak in the area with trailhead in Cap de Long you can use the free camping area of Lac d'Orédon driving in the morning before 9:00 to the lake of Cap de Long (where it don't exists a place for camping). My favourite option is the dinner in refuge d'Orédon (14,5€) sleeping in the free camping.
Chalet d OredonChalet d'Orédon


Refuges:


-Chalet-Refuge Orédon (40€ dinner+sleeping)

Others:

-Lodges in Fabian, Aragnouet, Saint Lary-Soulan, Bielsa...

External Links

Reserve Naturelle Néouvielle

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.