Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77392°N / 0.13669°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9948 ft / 3032 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Petit Vignemale seen from glacier d OssouePt.Vignemale

This conical mountain is the first one that is contemplated of Vignemale Massif from Refuge of Bayssellance, in front of its great brother, the Grand Vignemale (3298m). In spite of its name ("petit" mean "little") is a pretty mountain that deserves its own visit, independently that you'll climb to the most important mountain another day or not (Petit Vignemale is the easiest peak of the massif across its normal route and it's the best option to hikers what love the landscapes or the long traverses between the refuges). An excellent option is to climb the mountain the day that you ascend to the refuge of Baysselllance before to go the next day to the Grand Vignemale, especially if you've climbed from Barrage d’Ossoue (shortest). As well the climb is interesting in the day what you leave the refuge before the descent to the valley. For the lovers of rock-climb the summit of Petit Vignemale is the beginning of the classical ridge from Petit to Grand (A.D.inf.) across the col de Glaciers and the Pointe de Chausenque (3204m).

Getting There

Valley of GaubeGaube
vue depuis le petit vignemaleGaube

Access from the French side by road is from the East-West autoroute E80 (Bayonne to Toulouse) and the National road N21 via Lourdes and the D821 / D920 to Cauterets or the D921 to Gavarnie. There are airports at Pau and Toulouse.

Access from Spanish side by road from the N.W. or W. of the country: across Irun to cross to France, taking the road to Bayonne and the same French way.

Access from Spanish side in the centre of Pyrenees (near Huesca): the best option in the entry in French territory across Col du Portalet or Col du Somport. In winter many days this road is closed by the snow (or it requires the use of chains). D918 to Argelès-Gazost, D12 and D921 to Gavarnie.

Red Tape

Bayssellance

No permits are required. If you want to sleep in the Refuge is advisable the reserve by phone.

Camping

Vignemale Massif from BayssellanceVignemale Massif
Vignemale MassifVignemale Massif

In the National Parks camping is normally not allowed, except in a place of more than 1h of walk of a refuge, but it's very difficult in the route from the North (Oulettes de Gaube) because it exist two refuges (Gaube and Bayssellance). The best options to camp are near of Barrage d'Ossoue, in the South approach, with some places indicates near of the dam.

-Refuge de Bayssellance
-Refuge des Oulettes de Gaube.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.