Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48286°N / 105.84658°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11734 ft / 3577 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Below Neota Lead, Tepee, Richthofen, Lulu, Nokhu Crags, Thunder, Clark, Iron
Mount Neota, the namesake peak of the Neota Wilderness, sits as the northeastern most mountain in the Never Summer Range. Usually climbed along with Thunder and Lulu mountains, Neota is nothing more than a small bump on the otherwise gentle tundra slope leading northwest up Thunder Mountain. Mount Neota lies along the border of RMNP and the Neota Wilderness, Grand and Larimer counties, and the Continental Divide. Because of its low elevation and indistinct summit, Mount Neota receives the least amount of attention of the three mountains near it, despite the great views from the top. Neota is the 84th highest peak in RMNP, according to Mountain Jim’s Summits of Rocky Mountain Nat’l Park.

Elevation: 11734'
Elevation Gain: 1559' (From La Poudre Pass)
Mileage: 1.4 (From La Poudre Pass)

Latitude: N40 28.976
Longitude: W105 50.625

Reaching Mount Neota

As said before, Mount Neota is often climbed as a side trip to the larger summits of Thunder and Lulu mountains. Doing so can be done from two different starting points, Thunder Pass and La Poudre Pass. From Thunder Pass, Neota can be summited by either climbing up Lulu and Thunder mountains then descending to the small highpoint that is Mount Neota, or by skirting the two mountains in a semi-direct route via the saddles between Lulu-Thunder and Thunder-Neota. This route is the more popular, as there is minimal bushwhacking and requires just a walk across talus and tundra.

From La Poudre Pass, a little more route-finding skill is required. Because Mount Neota lies along the well marked RMNP border, one can simply follow the small rectangular white signs that guide you to the summit. At the gate at La Poudre Pass, look carefully for these small signs just a few feet to the south. Once the border is located, play connect the dots with these signs upward for about 1000’ in elevation to a relatively low treeline. As the trees thin, gain the summit ridge at about 11500’, a scramble up the loose, sandy dirt that characterizes the area. When this ridge is gained, the hike becomes a simple walk over broken tundra following sign posts to the small summit hill, denoted by a clearly visible cairn and bush to the northeast on the hill. If descending by the boundary line, take care to intersect the Grand Ditch road north of the La Poudre Pass patrol cabin, as there is no bridge over the ditch upstream for 3 miles.
Neota and beyondRichthofen, Lulu, Nokhu Crags above little Mount Neota

Getting There

Mount Neota can be reached from either the American Lakes TH, or the La Poudre Pass trailhead, located at the end of Long Draw road off CO 14

Red Tape

Depending on your route, you may be hiking through RMNP, Colorado State Forest State Park, or the Neota Wilderness.

The daily fee for usage of the CSFSP is currently $6, but is subject to change as those who run this little corner of land think its funny to charge an outrageous amount of money for a short visit

See the external links section for more info

Camping

The nearest backcountry campsite is at La Poudre Pass, there are two campgrounds nearby, Long Draw and Grandview

External Links

Everything you'd ever want to know about RMNP
Colorado State Park Info
Neota Wilderness Regs

If you were only going to look at one picture...

My route to NeotaGain the ridge at 11500' and head SW


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Never Summer RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 11ersMountains & Rocks