Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 15.517°S / 71.6784°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 18465 ft / 5628 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

It is very easy and not very chalanging. It is know, because the source of Amazon River is located at the base of the mountain. But - anyway - it is very a nice trekking with little climbing at the end.

Climbing is simple walk up. You need two days to get there on foot. From the "basecamp" there is 3 hours to the top, 1 down. You need walking poles and gaiters. Cramp-ones are useful but no necessary.

Mismi has several peeks, they form the ridge. We climbed only eastern one. We were told in Arequipa, that it is the highest one. But recently I have found information, that the middle one is the highest.

Some agencies from Arequipa offer climbing Mismi (and visiting the souce of Amazon River) but I guess not many people do it. In Chivay I have seen photos from the annual competition in fast climbing Mismi, but I don't know more about it.

Getting There

You start from Arequipa. There are buses to Chivay (3 USD). From there you catch a car (colectivo) to small village Tuti (less then 1 USD). In Tuti you start walking.

From plaza you go by the school (west) and up in the direction of hill with the cross. Ask locals and keep to the left of valley if any problems. You go by the deserted village (of a name Ran-Ran) and keep to the path. Way goes up to something looking like pass and through the plateau. Finely you reach a valley with herds of lamas and alpacas (at least we met them). You can camp there. The next day keep walking up the stream (called Mismi). In the middle of a day you spot a pass - walk towards it. At the end the way is a little bit steeper. Your "basecamp" will be close to the pass. It takes one day to return from the "basecamp" to Tuti.

Tuti: 3600 m, deserted village (Ran-Ran): 4060 m, water (look at the map below): 4620 m, C1: 4540 m, C2: 4950 m, C3: 5180 m, Amazon's source: 5171 m, the pass: 5290 m.

Red Tape

You need no permits to climb Mismi. The mountains is in Colca Canyon and ticket to it costs 7 USD. It is collected in Chivay on the bus station on arrival.

When To Climb

All year round. In dry season is colder but there is no rain nor snow (they say it is better time). We climbed it in April (end of wet season) and it was fine - only little snow and rain.

Camping

Befor trek you can sleep in Chivay (many hotels) or in Tuti (at least one).

On the way there are no huts for tourists. There is a shepherd’s stone hut near our camp 1, another one on the way, but nothing close to the "basecamp". Bring the tent with you.

We made three camps but you can do only two.

Water in Mismi stream is brownie - partially from the plants and peat, partially from the lama's and alpaca's excrement. The shepherd told us that it is safe, but we purified the water.

The source of Amazon River

To reach the source of Amazon River you need to cross the pass (from the "basecamp"). After that go left and walk ~40 minutes. You will find small lake. When we where there (April 2005) no water was flowing out of the lake.

Behind the lake there is stone wall. Come back to the pass and walk left but down. We found water that is the beginning of the Carhuasanta stream and Amazon River.

GPS coordinates


TUTI , -15.530720, -71.547850
WATER , -15.515140, -71.594670
DES VILLAG , -15.524790, -71.565900
CAMP 1 , -15.510490, -71.614670
CAMP 2 , -15.502010, -71.664940
CAMP 3 , -15.501370, -71.674830
PASS , -15.500370, -71.680340
NEV MISMI , -15.517030, -71.678400
AMAZON SOU , -15.508840, -71.695870

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

jbbowron - Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Ran Ran

The deserted village described in the article is actually Naupallacta not Ran Ran. Ran Ran is approximately 9 miles Northeast of Naupallacta. The trail to Naupallacta is shown on the signboard across the road from Tuti.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Volcanoes of ArequipaMountains & Rocks