031 series

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title 031 series
Manufacturer Vuarnet
Page By StephaneFitch
Page Type Jul 17, 2003 / Jul 17, 2003
Object ID 761
Hits 4049
Vote
First issued by Vuarnet in 1999. Frame is injection molded nylon, with side vents to eliminate fogging. Four lenses are available, from light brown PX2000, which accomodates everyday use, to intensely dark PX5000, which is specifically designed for high-altitude climbing on glaciers. All filter out 100% UVZ, UVB and UVC radiation. Multi-layered anti-reflective coatings eliminate glare and bounce-back light. Lenses are glass, ground and polished on both sides to ensure distortion free vision, and are heat tempered for impact and scratch resistance.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

StephaneFitch - Jul 17, 2003 4:20 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
A lovely but apparently failed experiment by Vuarnet to produce the next-generation glacier glasses. I see them around all the time on clearance for $45 now. Must be discontinued. If so, I predict that someday, these will be much sought after by mountaineers. I own two pairs. The glass lenses are super-clear. My favorite pair have the PX-5000 lenses, which are extra dark and thus ideally suited for strolling upon glaciers. The little vents on the side do aleviate fogging in all but the most monsoon-like conditions. And the shape of the frames is ideal for keeping the sun from shining in your eyes from above or from the sides. No leather sideshields to get wet or wear out. Granted, the glass lenses and thicker frames do add weight. But why anybody with a 50-pound pack on his back would complain about a few extra grams on his nose is beyond me. Perhaps best of all, these are great conversation pieces, in the mountains and at sea level. I've been told everything from how cool these look to how downright goofy they are. But they never fail to elicit this request: "Hey, can I try those on?"

Viewing: 1-1 of 1