Point 1109 - East Longwell Ridge

Point 1109 - East Longwell Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.34185°N / 114.51114°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3638 ft / 1109 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 1109 is one of a few high points in the Eastern Muddy Mountains in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. It is nearly due South of the Fire benchmark, or Fire Peak. My route involves some challenging up climbs which are not too hard, but could be bypassed if desired. This Eastern terminus of the Muddy's is just about my favorite area in Lake Mead NRA. easily accessible from the North Shore Road with tons of options for playing. You could also come at this end of the Muddy's from the paved road thru Valley of Fire.

Point 1109 lies within Lake Mead NRA so you will need to pay the access fee, and overlooks the Overton Arm/Virgin River of Lake Mead, as well as offering nice views of the Western Muddy's and Black Mountains. Any vehicle can make this east side TH on paved road.

Getting There

From any entrance station to Lake Mead NRA make your way towards Echo Bay which is along the Northshore Road. Just north of the intersection of the Northshore Road and the Echo Bay Road is a large gravel pullout one can park at, or you could park along the North Shore Road, just pull over far enough off the road to not be a hazard or hinder traffic flow.

Route

From your parking place of choice make your way towards the canyon that will lead towards the northwest ridge of Point 1109. There are a few obstacles along the way, some potholes and up climbs which are not too difficult, but could be bypassed if you feel safer doing so. Although to bypass you may need to alter the route from the start and not enter the canyon, but that's not near as much fun ! At one point past the second narrows will be a dry fall with a dynamic rope hanging from a boulder above to a bench about halfway up and to the right side as facing the fall. It is a slightly crumbly route up, hence the rope, and has a short traverse with a little exposure to gain it. You can scramble up further to the right of the fall and avoid this altogether. Continue following the canyon up until it forks below the ridge (East Longwell Ridge's absorption into the main rock of these eastern Muddy's) leading to Point 1109. From there it is an easy hike/scramble up to Point 1109's summit.

From the summit you have a number of fun options. You could retrace your steps to descend, you could follow the ridge as it winds northward and gain Fire Peak, you could drop into another canyon and descend, just suit yourself and enjoy !

Camping

There is plenty of primitive camping as well developed campgrounds throughout Lake Mead NRA. Or you could stay on The Strip and see the show that is Las Vegas Blvd.

External Links

Lake Mead NRA

Red Tape

All regulations that apply for Lake Mead NRA will apply.

Lake Mead NRA