Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.23367°N / 114.50295°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3524 ft / 1074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cloud formations over Lake Mead





Redstone Peak, unofficially named, is one of the highest peaks in the Lake Mead area. It resides in the Black Mountains within Lake Mead NRA. Redstone Peak offers some of the best views of the Lake Mead area. From the summit panoramas that are beyond the imagination are seen in all directions. There are many other unnamed peaks that can be enjoyed from Redstone. East Redstone, another unofficially named peak, is just to the east, northeast of its summit. To the northeast of East Redstone you could scramble over to another locally named peak, Big (Tall) Cairn Peak.

Redstone Peak is best climbed from October-May. The summer months are extremely hot at the lower elevations. If you do this in the summer do it early in the day and have lots of water.

Redstone PeakRedstone Peak

Getting There

Driving around Las Vegas drive to exit 45B on I-15 and go east. Drive East about 4 miles to the intersection of Lake Mead Blvd and Nellis Blvd. Set your odometer to 0.

Continue East on Lake Mead Blvd. Follow the main road all the way around the curves once over the mountain pass. At 10.6 miles you will reach the fee booth. Once past the fee booth you'll drive another 2.1 miles (12.7 total) to a T-Intersection. Turn Left. Drive another 23 miles just past mile marker 27. You will see the Redstone Trail parking area on the right. Park here.

Northshore PeakNorthshore Peak seen on the drive to Redstone.

Red Tape

Daily passes are $5 (good for 1-5 days; per vehicle).

Yearly ones for $20 which are good through December 31st in the calendar year purchased. (Per vehicle)

Individual 1-5 days $3.00 per person (motorcycle, bicycles, hikers)

Individual Calender Year $20.00 per annual pass (motorcycle, bicycles etc.)

For More Information Call (702) 293-8907. Fees & Reservations

Camping

Car camping inside Lake Mead NRA is permitted only in front-country campgrounds and designated campsites. However, BLM land borders much of the park, and camping on BLM land is open and free. Though, you should choose an existing site and practice Leave-No-Trace skills.

Rainbow at Sunset over Lake Mead

The Hike

From the parking area start hiking south, southeast along the Redstone trail. In the foreground you can see Pt. 950. Continue along the Redstone Trail. You will have to scramble over the sandstone almost ½ mile into the hike. Once you’ve scrambled on the other side of the sandstone contour around on the NE side of Pt. 950. Once on the East side of 950 you will see Redstone Peak straight ahead of you to the Southeast. You have a choice to head straight ahead up the steep ridge and up the gulley or to turn to the right (south) and head up to the Saddle and hike up the west ridge to the summit. It is a little over a mile to the summit with just under 1,300 feet of elevation gain.

Route for Redstone Peak
Routes up Redstone Peakroutes up Redstone

Summit Shots


External Links

  • Redstone Trail A great page written by Jim Boone on the Redstone Trail
  • Anya's trip to Redstone
  • Trip to Redstone Peaks SP Member MoapaPK's trip to Redstone Peaks

  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.