Primo Apostolo m. 1738
This slender odd tower of dolomia is the finest of a small group of three ones, all named Apostoli (Apostles) in reason of their resemblance and closeness, lying in the middle part of Sengio Alto Subgroup, the central sector of Little Dolomites. Primo Apostolo (First Apostle), as its name says, is the first tower on the left when you’re looking to Apostoli from South. The Boale del Baffelan to the South, separating the tower from Baffelan, together with another steep gully to the North, give to Primo Apostolo a powerful shape and a great detachment from the surroundings peaks. The mighty spur facing East and overlooking the King’s Road is vertical and very attractive and in reason of this fact concentrates to itself the main climbing interests. As the majority of the peaks belonging to Sengio Alto subgroup, the summit of Primo Apostolo is jointed to Sengio Alto by a short scramble heading to West and getting to the Arroccamento Path, a beautiful trail running across all the subgroup. The Western face of Primo Apostolo is shorter but steep and compact, overlooking the Meadows of Settefontane.
On Primo Apostolo we count numberless high class climbing routes on very good quality “dolomia”; in addition to the pre-existent classic and hystorical routes, some others new ones were climbed in last ten-years period.
Getting ThereThe shortest approach is from Campogrosso Pass.
Road access to Campogrosso Pass
- From SW side (Vicenza province): follow A4 Motorway, exit Montecchio Maggiore and take the road to Valdagno, Recoaro and Passo di Campogrosso (47 km. from Montecchio Maggiore); some hundred meters before getting to Campogrosso Pass follow the King’s Road on the right and park the car near the bar closing the road.
Another option is going towards Campogrosso Pass by walking from Malga Cornetto, if you’re coming by road from the NE side (Rovereto)
- from NE side (Trento province): follow A22 Autobrennero Motoway, exit Rovereto and take the SS46 rising inside Vallarsa; after the interesting Eremo di San Colombano, the road is rising across some small villages like Valmorbia, Anghebeni and Raoxi and at least is reaching Pian delle Fugazze m. 1162 (km. 27 from Rovereto). From the pass, situated on the border between Trento and Vicenza provinces, follow for a few meters the road towards Vicenza and sudden leave it, turning to right on the King’s Road (Strada del Re, an old road suitable for vehicles only for some kilometers) leading to Malga Cornetto; at the fork with the road to Pasubio Military Sanctuary carry on along the main road and where the road is closed by a bar park the car in a little pull-out.
Walking approachWalking access to E face, NE face and Normal route
- From Campogrosso: from the bar on the King’s Road continue on the road, skirting the East faces of the Sengio Alto, reaching the meadows of Malga Baffelan; follow the trail toward left heading to the Boale del Baffelan, enter it, reaching an hand-made stone wall (20 min.)
- From Pian delle Fugazze: from the little pull-out near the bar which closes the King’s road, follow the road by walking; where the road is destroyed a steep trail crosses the and leads to the final section of the road. Follow it to a hairpin below the peak: a short trail starting from the hairpin leads below the East face (50 min).
All the routes of Primo Apostolo
- Primo Apostolo Normal Route
An easy and short scramble starting from Malga Baffelan and rising to the Baffelan Col m. 1661, then getting the summit via the Arroccamento Path.
Report: from the King’s Road follow the trail toward Malga Baffelan, the head to left getting the Boale del Baffelan (iron’s chain) towards the Baffelan Col m. 1661 (junction, signs), a saddle lying on Sentiero di Arroccamento. From the saddle follow towards right (North) the Arroccamento Path, getting to the saddle between Primo and Secondo Apostolo; a short scramble to the summit.
All the routes on Primo Apostolo (UIAA Scale):
- Spigolo Faccio IV, V, m. 170 m. Fine classic route on very good rock, the most climbed of the peak
- Via Arcobaleno IV, V, VI+ m. 170
- Via Serenella Stenghel IV, V+, VI+, VII- (A0) m. 160
- Via Uno di Noi VII, VIII- m. 160
- Via Sergio e Carla IV, V, VI m. 150
- Via Dagmy IV, V+, a short move grading VI+ (or A) m. 100
Descent: following the Normal route
Red TapeNo particulary restrictions in climbing and hiking. Cars are not allowed on the North side road from Pian delle Fugazze to Passo di Campogrosso.
Sentiero di Arroccamento accross Sengio Alto
It's an amazing old military path, winding between the peaks of Sengio Alto Subgroup and crossing it from Malga Cornetto m. 1220 to Toni Giuriolo Hut on Campogrosso Pass m. 1456. This beautiful path was realized by the Italian Military Engineers Corp during WWI and can be followed in both the two walking directions: from South (Rif. Giuriolo) to North (Malga Cornetto) and vice versa.
- Malga Cornetto m. 1220
- Rif. Toni Giuriolo on Campogrosso Pass m. 1456
When to ClimbBest season goes from May to October
ClimateLittle Dolomites shows a local micro-climate due to the high contrast between NW side, colder and dry, and SE side, warmer and wet: this situation is the cause, especially in summer time, of frequent fogs along the East sides.
Where to stay- Toni Giuriolo Hut at Campogrosso Pass m. 1456 Phone +39044575030
- Alla Guardia Hut Phone +39044575257
Guidebooks and maps
“Arrampicate scelte nelle Piccole Dolomiti e nel Pasubio” by Guido Casarotto
Map Pasubio-Carega 1:25.000