Sentinel Peak "A" Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.21040°N / 110.9924°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2887 ft / 880 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Picture of Sentinel Peak from...From A Mountain



Sentinel Peak or "A" Mountain is a well known peak just outside of Tucson, Az with amazing views of downtown Tucson and the surrounding area. The reason for the A being painted on the mountain was because of the celebration in 1915 when the Arizona football team won over Pamona college 7-6. The "A" can be seen from different sections of Tucson, Arizona and stands out most from downtown.

Downtown Tucson from Sentinel...View of downtown Tucson.



Getting up to summit is extremely easy with a road that heads up most of the way up the mountain and loops around it. There is a small path from the overlook near the painted A on the mountain that you can take to reach the summit. There is also the Sentinel Peak trail which you can take to A Mountain as well as to the side trail-head up Tumamoc Hill.

Sintinel Peak from Tumamoc...Sentinel Peak from Tumamoc Hill






Getting There

VIA SENTINAL RIDGE ROAD by the A sign: From exit 258 on I-10 head west on Broadway away from downtown. Stay on road until the road until just before the road veers a sharp right. Make a left on South Cuesta Ave. The road then turns into South Sentinel Peak Road. Stay on the road and head to where the road splits. Stay on road to the bend and park in the parking area on your right. The path will be on your left.

Mountain Conditions

The weather is very similiar to nearby Tuscon, AZ. The following website is a live shot of Tucson from nearby Tumamoc Hill...

City Cam



Red Tape

There is no fee for "A" Mountain. However there is an 8 pm. curfew.

When To Climb

This mountain can be summited at any time.

Camping

There is no camping on the summit due to a 8 pm. curfew.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.