Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.13380°N / 107.5022°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12917 ft / 3937 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Unnamed 12917Unnamed 12917
Pinnacle RidgePinnacle Ridge - northern tip
Unnamed 12917 is a ranked summit located along Pinnacle Ridge in Cimarron River Group of San Juan Mountains. It is not very frequented peak, but the views are spectacular, the outing is pretty short. There is no established trail, but bushwhacking is tolerable, e.g. not too many fallen trees to climb over or nasty screen. Most peak baggers seek 14ers and 13ers and this high 12er gets often overlooked, but there are some who seek highest 1000 in Colorado.

Colorado Rank: 705

Quad: Courthouse Mountain

Parent Lineage: 13222

Wilderness: Uncompahgre

Class: 2

Cimarron River Group has many weirdly shaped peaks and many offer fine scrambles and technical climbs. The area is absolutely spectacular. 

Pinnacle Ridge is the six mile long ridge running north from El Punto, ending in the small forest of pinnacles the two see along the Middle Fork Road. Despite the name, the cluster of 12,000' and 13,000' points along the way aren't too difficult reach per Guide to Colorado Mountains with Robert Ormes. It depends, which point you decide to climb, e.g Unnamed 12798 (unranked) offers the easiest climb at 5.4. Unnamed 13222 (ranked summit) offers class 4 exposed scramble. 

Getting There

WaterfallWaterfall
Chimney RockChimney Rock
The Middle Fork Trailhead: Follow US Hwy 50 for about 20 miles east from Montrose (or 40 miles west from Gunnison) to the intersection with County Road 858 - well signed for Silver Jack Reservoir. At 18.7 miles you reach Silver Jack Reservoir, continue for another mile to forest service road 861.1 - Middle Fork. Turn right  and follow this road for 4.6 miles to end at a large parking area. 

If you have time, stop for a short stroll to a beautiful waterfall about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. There is marker for the trail at the road and a small pull out parking lot. 

If you have time, stop for a short stroll (5-10 min max) to a beautiful waterfall about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. There is a marker for the trail on the Middle Fork Rd., about 1 mile before the main parking. Park at a small pull out parking lot. 

Route

UN 12917UN 12917
UN 12917UN 12917
The route starts at the Middle Fork Trail # 227 at the end of Forest Service Road # 861.1, Middle Fork Road. The trail travels south following the Middle Fork Cimarron River at a gentle grade. In approximately 0.05 miles the trail enters Uncompahgre Wilderness. It continues through spruce/fir and aspen. Follow this trail for less than 1 mile (1 km) and then start your way up along a little side stream. There is no established trail. Choose the easiest way up to reach the Pinnacle Ridge and then ascend north ridge of 12,917. The views of surrounding peaks are fantastic. 

Red Tape

Parking, hiking, and even primitive camping are free. The peak is located in Wilderness area, so wilderness area rules apply. 

Leave No Trace. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces. Dispose of Waste Properly. Leave What You Find. Minimize Campfire Impacts. Respect Wildlife. Be Considerable of Other Visitors. 

When to Climb

Summer and early autumn are the easiest with roads being open. Winter provides a long approach and avalanche danger. Spring could be an a nice outing and the scree slopes could be still covered with snow. 

Camping

There is great free camping along the Middle Fork Road. It is also possible to sleep at the trailhead. 

Developed campground would be Silver Jack Campground

External Links