Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.18739°N / 19.05397°E
Additional Information Elevation: 6903 ft / 2104 m
Sign the Climber's Log

The most northern peak of Durmitor

Štuoc
Rising above the Dolovi cirque valley on its eastern side and hanging above Tara Canyon on its northern side, is placed Veliki Štuoc (2104 m), the most northern peak of DURMITOR range. Štuoc massif is the part of the norternmost ridge on Durmitor which contains five peaks - Gologlav (2200 m), Pašina Gomila (2196 m), Pazišta (2114 m), Veliki Štuoc (2104 m) and Mali Štuoc (1953 m). The massif of Štuoc have two peaks - Veliki Štuoc (Big Štuoc, 2104 m) and Mali Štuoc (Small Štuoc, 1953 m). Below the eastern side of Štuoc massif is placed beautiful Dolovi glacial valley which separate Štuoc from Crvena Greda peak. Between those two peaks goes asphalt road to another side of Durmitor massif, to Mala Crna Gora village and to the entrance of Sušica Canyon. Štouoc is approachable by walk from Žabljak town via Dolovi plateau and by car from Žabljak town to Momčilov Grad restaurant, from where you can follow mountain path to Štuoc summit. Roundly Štuoc peak is covered with juniper bushes, while on the northern side its cliffs hanging above Tara Canyon. From the summit of Štuoc you can admire in amazing view to deepness of Tara Canyon, wide plateau of Tepca Village and cliffs of beautiful Čurevac peak, most beautiful viewpoint of Tara Canyon.

Getting There

Veliki Štuoc
Gateway to Durmitor National Park and Veliki Štuoc (2104 m) massif is Zabljak (1456 m) town. Information how to get there: By Plane ~To Beograd (Belgrade, Serbia&Montenegro capital) airport. Than with plane to Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, or with bus or car to Zabljak town. ~To Podgorica airport. Than with bus or car to Zabljak town. Information about flights find on the sites of JAT Airways, a former Yugoslav airlines, or on Montenegro Airlines. By Bus ~Beograd (Belgrade)-Zabljak ~Podgorica-Zabljak ~Niksic-Zabljak ~Pljevlja-Zabljak Buses go to Zabljak from Beograd (Belgrade) twice a day and from Podgorica, Niksic, Pljevlja and Mojkovac several times per day. By Car ~Beograd (Belgrade)-Zlatibor-Nova Varos-Prijepolje-Pljevlja-Zabljak ~Niksic - Savnik (47km) - Zabljak (37km): 84km; Niksic to Zabljak approach from south. ~Niksic - Savnik (35km) - Zabljak (37km): 72km; ~Podgorica - Niksic (55 km)-Savnik (47 km)-Zabljak (37 km): 139 km; Add this length if you are going to Zabljak from Podgorica via Niksic. Road to Niksic from Podgorica is good. ~Podgorica - Kolasin (71km) - Mojkovac (21km) - Zabljak (67km): 159km; road is good all the way to Zabljak. Behind Podgorica (56m) you go inside Moraca River canyon (one of spectacular Montenegrin canyons). It is up to 1000m deep and has wild sides. That's spectacular drive. After that, from "Djurdjevica Tara" bridge to Zabljak - 23 km.

Red Tape

No fees or extra fees for entering the National Park. No permits needed either. Usual rules of behaviour for NP's do apply.

Camping

View to Veliki Štuoc and its surroungings above Tara Canyon Photo: Vlado Vujisić
You can hike to Štuoc peak from Dolovi plateau where Momčilov Grad restaurant is placed. Generally, in Durmitor, major huts are in good condition, but with no service. Still, open to the general public. Just in mountain Skrka Hut in Skrka Valley and Susica Hut in Susica Canyon you can buy the food, but not cooking meal. There you can sleep on beds with blankets. In other huts, hikers/climbers are supposed to bring all the jummy stuff with them. On Durmitor exist camps in Ivan Do and Razvrsje (near Savin Kuk), and few mountain huts and bivouacs: ~Hut with few small shepherd's houses in Lokvice valley ~Hut in Skrka Lakes valley (you can sleep and buy the food) ~Bivouac in Velika Kalica valley ~Hut "Mushova koliba" (Stari Katun) on the road from Zabljak to Obla Glava (2303 m) peak, near Ledena Pechina (Ice Cave) - empty simply hut from wood, without service, simple conditions...

Weather Info

The best weather forecast on Internet for Durmitor (Zabljak town) is VREME YUBC NET site. You can see 5 days forecast for Durmitor area, 4-times-daily forecast.

Maps

Veliki Štuoc summit
Exist three maps of Durmitor: 1. Map of Durmitor Massif & Tara Canyon - 1:25000. Author: Branislav Cerovic. You can buy it in Zabljak town in almost every store. Price: 5-6 euro. 2. Map of Durmitor National Park & Tara Canyon - 1:25000. Author: Branislav Cerovic. You can buy it in Beograd (Belgrade, Serbia) in Geokarta Co, Belgrade. Price: 2 euro. This map is better than first one and include many informations and facts about routes, peaks, lakes, glacial cirques, valleys, canyons,... 3. Durmitor Mountain Guide & Map. Short mountain guide with some basic informations and facts. Author of map: Pavle S. Bandovic. Editor: "Summit" Travel Agency, Zabljak, 2005. Price of Guide&Map: 7 euro.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DurmitorMountains & Rocks