Walkway

Walkway

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: technical rock climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.4R
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This climb is located on the W face of Trashcan Rock, the large formation at the Quail Springs picnic area. To get to the Quail Springs picnic area:

a) From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park: drive 2.6 (?) miles (a sign marking the turn is obvious). Take a R.

b) from the turnout to the Hidden Valley campground: go 3 miles towards Joshua Tree (the town). Take a L.

Go past the first set of parking spots around the curve to those by the outhouse. Park here. This is the W face of Trashcan Rock.

Route Description


This enjoyable route can be reached by either a L-hand or R-hand variation. The L-hand side is a short crack system, while the R is a lieback.

The crux of the climb is the crossover from either the L-hand or R-hand variation. The difficulty from either side is approximately the same: 5.4 face climbing. The R-rating also comes from this, as until the crack system leading upwards is gained (immediately past this crux- about 15 ft above ground), there is no protection available- think of it like a high boulder problem to gain the route. Once in the crack, just follow it upwards. You will run right into a ramp leading to the R. This ramp is easy but very exposed.

Walk off Trashcan Rock- head down towards the end of the rock across from the outhouse. This entails 4th class downclimbing.

Essential Gear


Some nuts & a few small to medium sized cams for the lower crack, & a large piece or two (2.5- 3") for the ramp section leading to the top of the climb. Large amounts of webbing/accessory cord can be used in conjunction with some locking 'biners to construct an anchor/rappel station by slinging gaps underneath a large boulder at the top of Trashcan Rock

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.