Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.29520°N / 11.78840°E
Additional Information County: Veneto
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7333 ft / 2235 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cima Tognazza 2235 m

Cima Tognazza 2235 m is located in the extreme North-Eastern edge of the Lagorai group, a few steps from the Pale di San Martino, one of the most famous mountain groups in the Dolomites. It's a small but very well-known peak which owes its fame to the smooth and vertical South East wall, about two hundred meters high and made of excellent quality porphyry.

Tognazza route Power Flower (2)
Tognazza route Power Flower (2)

From the top of the Tognazza you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the majestic and beautiful profile of the Pale. Cima Tognazza is a very particular peak, in fact on its North side it has a grassy slope across which the summit can be easily and quickly reached starting from Passo Rolle 1989 m, while on the South-Eastern side it shows a steep porphyry wall about 200 m high, where several climbing routes, mainly difficult, can be found.

 

ina 108
ina 108
Cimon della Pala
Cimon della Pala

Getting There

Road access

The starting point to approach the wall is Passo Rolle 1939 m, reachable both from Predazzo in Val di Fiemme, on the Trentino side, and Fiera di Premiero, on the Veneto side.

Approaching the wall

From Passo Rolle follow the track branching off behind the Albergo Vezzana, which in a few minutes leads to the Fiamme Gialle cliff. At the left end of the cliff a small path, sometimes disturbed by vegetation, with several ups and downs and some small climbing steps equipped with a couple of fixed ropes allows  you to stay high and not lose too much altitude. You cross the entire wall reaching the far left edge.leads to the imposing South East face of Tognazza (15 minutes). 

Approaching Tognazza
Approaching Tognazza

Main climbing routes

Tognazza route Baby Jan
Tognazza route Baby Jan

 

The first route you come across is the Via del Vento, one of the first to be climbed on the wall. Proceeding to the left you gradually come across the other routes.

- Via del Vento

- Baby Jan

- Flower Power

- Via Danilo Busin

- Via Momo

- Jolly Roger

- Fuoco Fatuo

- Via Andrea Mancin

- Via Rothko

Tognazza Via Momo (3)
Tognazza Via Momo (3)
Tognazza Via Momo
Tognazza Via Momo
Tognazza Via Momo (2)
Tognazza Via Momo (2)

 

 

From a hiking point of view it certainly represents a very interesting destination both in terms of accessibility and above all for its characteristic of a real balcony overlooking the Pale di San Martino, of which it therefore offers truly unique and spectacular views.

Cima Tognazza from Passo Rolle

From the pass you go up a dirt road in a southerly direction, leading to the Guardia di Finanza barracks. From here you go up a ski slope until you reach a beautiful grassy shelf. Ignore the deviation to the crag on the left and continue southwards up a grassy coast with some small trees. Then leave the track on the right that continues along the Cavallazza lakes and take the path on the left that goes up near the northern ridge of Tognazza, quickly reaching the summit.

Summit ofd Tognazza
Summit ofd Tognazza

Cima Tognazza from Lago di Calaita 

From Canal San Bovo follow the signposts to Lago di Calaita. Parking. From Lago Calaita 1621 m follow the wide mule track until it enters the woods. Continue to follow the signposts to Malga Scanaiol which can be reached via an up and down path in about 30 minutes. Now the path climbs through the sparse larch forest until it reaches the wide Scanaiol pass between the peak of the same name and the Tognazza peak. Climb towards this latter on a very steep path and in 20 minutes you arrive at the panoramic and grassy peak. Panorama of the nearby and imposing Pale di San Martino and the Lagorai with Cima di Cece and Cima d'Asta.

Red Tape

No fees no permits required.

When to Climb

The best period comes from May to October

Accomodation

Cimon della Pala
Cimon della Pala

 

 

 

Different possibilities in the surrounding of Passo Rolle.

Meteo

ARPAV Dolomiti Meteo

Guidebooks and maps

Carta Tabacco nr 022 - Pale di San Martino



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lagorai GROUPMountains & Rocks