Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.69768°N / 119.57841°W
Additional Information County: Mariposa
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8245 ft / 2513 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View of Yosemite from Illilouette RidgeNortheast from Illilouette Ridge
Illilouette Ridge is the highest point along the Glacier Point Road in Yosemite National Park about 2 miles south of Glacier Point and about 1 mile northeast of Ostrander Rocks.
Thousands of tourists from all over the world drive or take tour buses up to enjoy the spectacular views from Glacier Point every day during the open season. Illilouette Ridge is over a thousand feet higher and faces more to the east. The views from Illilouette Ridge (though they don't take in as much of "The Incomparable Valley" and the sheer northwest face of Half Dome) are breathtaking as well and you'll probably have it all to yourself. There is a unique view of the south side of Half Dome and you can see more of the Yosemite high country beyond. The high point is to the south but the north part of the ridge is more open and closer to the awesome convergence of Yosemite Valley, Tenaya Canyon and Little Yosemite Valley. This short hike can easily be done in an hour or so. But once you crest the ridge you'll no doubt want to linger a while.

Getting There

Southeast from Illilouette RidgeEast pano from Illilouette Ridge
From Yosemite Valley at the hairpin junction of Hwy 140 and Hwy. 41 (at Bridalveil Falls) go south up out of the valley on Hwy 41 (Wowona Road) 9 miles to the Glacier Point Road. This road is closed in winter. Turn left and go 13 miles to the road side parking (on the left) for the trails to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome. From there you simply cross the road and scramble up the small embankment. Illilouette Ridge is a little less than a mile to the east. This is a simple cross country walk up through the woods with only a 500' elevation gain.
From Wowona go north on Hwy. 41 12 miles and turn right on the Glacier Point Road.

Red Tape

Northeast from Illilouette RidgeMt. Watkins, Mt. Conness and Half Dome from Illilouette Ridge
The entrance fee for Yosemite National Park is 20$ per vehicle, good for 7 days.

Camping

Mt. Conness from Illilouette RidgeMt. Conness from Illilouette Ridge
There are no campgrounds in the Glacier Point area but there are plenty of places in Yosemite Valley. For camping info and reservations click here.

Current weather and road conditions in Yosemite

User Profile ImageRight before the handstand
For current weather and 5 day forecast click here.

For current road conditions click here.