Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.09350°N / 116.05451°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3680 ft / 1122 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Joshua Mountain is a striking rock formation which lies within the northern flanks of the Pinto Mountains of Joshua Tree National Park. The peak itself is within San Bernardino County, in the state of California, USA. It is part of the Peninsular Range which itself is a part of the greater Pacific Range of North America.

It is located approximately 1.5 miles North West of the North Entrance Station of the park, 1 mile North of Contact Mine, 4.5 miles East of Indian Cove Picnic Area, 2.9 miles South of Twentynine Palms (CA-62 and Utah Trail junction), and 1 mile West of Utah Trail.

Getting There

From Barstow, CA: Take CA-247 S, then CA-62 E, until town of Twentynine Palms, turn Right (South) on Utah Trail and park at North Entrance Station.

From Lake Havasu City, CA: Take AZ-95 S, then CA-62 W, until town of Twentynine Palms, turn Left (South) on Utah Trail and park at North Entrance Station.

From Phoenix, AZ: Take Take I-10 W, then CA-62 W, until town of Twentynine Palms, turn Left (South) on Utah Trail and park at North Entrance Station.

From El Centro, CA: Take CA-86 N, then I-10 W, then CA-62 W, until town of Twentynine Palms, turn Left (South) on Utah Trail and park at North Entrance Station.

From Temecula, CA: Take I-15 N, then CA-79 N, turn Right on CA-74 E/CA-79 N/W Florida Ave, then turn Left onto Warrent Rd, then turn Right onto Ramona Expy, then CA-79 N, then I-10 E, then CA-62 E, until town of Twentynine Palms, turn Right (South) on Utah Trail and park at North Entrance Station.

From Los Angeles, CA: Take I-10 E, then CA-62 E, until town of Twentynine Palms, turn Right (South) on Utah Trail and park at North Entrance Station.

When To Climb

Anytime from October to May.

Since this mountain is located in the desert, be prepared for dangerously high temperatures during the summer months.
Joshua Mountain


If you need to know what the weather will be like:
Joshua Tree National Park Weather

Red Tape

Since this peak is located within Joshua Tree National Park, you will need to pay an entrance fee to access the park.

7-Day Vehicle Permit ($15): Admits a single vehicle. Valid for 7 days.
7-Day Single Entry Permit ($5): Admits one person on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or horse. Valid for 7 days.
Joshua Tree National Park Pass ($30): Admits pass signee and accompanying passengers in a single vehicle. Valid for 12 months.

For more information, you can visit: National Park Services Website

Camping

The Belle and Jumbo Rocks Campgrounds are located approximately 7 miles South of the mountain.

Backcountry camping is also permitted, click here for details.

History

In 1855, Colonel Henry Washington made the first recorded exploration of the area we now call Twentynine Palms city. He found natives of the Chemeheuvi tribe living in the hills around the Oasis of Mara, which the natives used to call “Mar-rah”, meaning “land of little water”. The natives would lead surveyors South and East in search of gold, which would make Joshua Mountain a very noticeable landmark in their journeys within the Pinto Mountains.

Source

Geology

Joshua Mountain



Joshua Mountain is mainly composed of Quartz monzonite porphyry (Cretaceous igneous rocks).

Here are two geological maps of the area:
1st Map, 2nd Map.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Apr 5, 2022 10:19 pm - Hasn't voted

No fee

This peak is best climbed from near the intersection of Utah Trail and Wellock Rd, which is before you get to the park entrance station. So you won't have to pay an entry fee.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.