Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.85798°N / 115.30426°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10019 ft / 3054 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Chester in October;...
One of the more popular scrambles starting from the Smith-Dorrien, Spray Lakes road. This dome shaped peak like others in the area, gets its name from ships involved and destroyed in the WW I sea battle "Jutland". In all the British lost 14 ships (4 blew up by themselves due to faulty storage of cordite used to propell the shells). The Germans lost 11. Approximately 8,000 seamen lost their lives in one of the the largest sea battles in history.

A 4-8 hour round trip, this moderate scramble is described well in Alan Kane’s Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies pages 104-105, which is a recommended purchase.

Excellent views of the surrounding area. Mount Shark (2,786 metres), Mount Smuts (2,938 metres), and Commonwealth peak (2,775 metres), among others. In the distance if the weather cooperates, Mt. Assinaboine, Mt. Joffre, and Mount Sir Douglas can be seen.

Elevation gain 1,150 metres

Getting There

Nice Summit View
Head out of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Lakes road past the Grassi Lakes and the Goat Creek day use parking. Continue on the unpaved Spray lakes road for about 45km. Turn left at the large Chester lake parking, this is about 3 kms from the Engadine Lodge road. Park here in this large parking lot. Don't leave items visible in the back of your car. This area can see a lot of traffic why tempt anyone including bears. Follow the logging road east as it gradually becomes a trail. When the trail reaches a creek (that drains Chester Lake) before the lake turn south and cross the stream and ascend the meadow angling up towards the col west of the mountain. Follow the the slope to the saddle. From here you will have to scramble up the left on slabs or right on scree (your choice). It is described in the Scrambles book. Due to its height there can be snow on this peak even in the summer season so dress and choose footwear accordingly.

Red Tape

Some of the peaks you see...
No red tape. This is a day trip. 4-8 hours
Don't leave items visible in the back of your car. Why tempt fate

When To Climb

Cornice on the summit of...
Spray Lake Ranger Station. (403) 678-5533
Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277
The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1
weather office or (403) 762-2088 for weather conditions

The summer months would be the most popular. June to end of September.

Camping

Mount Chester, mid-August...
Due to the fragility of the area there is no camping on the mountain and surrounding area.

There are other campgrounds in the area if desired.
Spray Lakes West Shore Campground has 50 sites (403) 591-7226
There is also the Alpine Club of Canada lodge with rooms and excellent facilities of 19$ CDN a night. The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1

Engadine Lodge is a good base camp if you want some comfort at the end of the day.

Engadine Lodge
Box 40025 Canmore, Alberta T1W 3H9
Tel.: (403) 678-4080
Fax: 678-4020
E mail: lodge@mountengadine.com
Web address www.mountengadine.com

The Alpine Club of Canada

Mt Chester from the meadows...
Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/

Staying at the club in Canmore is 19$ Canadian for members and a little more for non-members. It can get quite crowded in the summer so a reservation is recommended.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KananaskisMountains & Rocks
 
Kananaskis 10,000+ ’ersMountains & Rocks
 
Kananaskis 3000+ ’ersMountains & Rocks