Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.53330°N / 115.2167°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11315 ft / 3449 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Joffre North face...my ascent is...
The Joffre Range which has ten peaks over 3,ooo metres is in Peter Lougheed Provincial park. Blessed with a striking snow capped face, Mt. Joffre is the tallest peak in the World War One General group located near the border of the province of British Columbia. A scree scramble up the southeast ridge or an alpine style crampon up the snow covered east face...your choice. After decending Joffre. While you are there it is quite easy to ridge walk all the peaks in the surrounding area. Cordonnaire and Warrior are striking as well. Excellent for a 3 day weekend of climbing.

Getting There

Ascending the final 200m...
From Calgary. Head to Kananaskis. Then to the trailhead on the Upper Kananaskis Lake. Follow the trail on the left side of the lake (one hour) the ascend to Hidden lake (sometimes empty) through the forest. Follow the left hand side to the trail up an unstable scree slope to Aster lake. Then follow the glacial moraine to the left up the valley passing by Warrior, Cordonnaire, Pitan on your right. Go up and cross over the glacier and choose your preferred route.

Red Tape

Mount Joffre to the right,...
Check in and out with the Rangers in Kananaskis. Ask about the Bears! Campfires! Pack out all you pack in.

When To Climb

The approach route to Mount...
The summer June to November would be preferred times.

Camping

Author: pvalchev
Date: Aug 24, 2005 12:06 AM

Joffre is inside Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and camping requires a permit. A backcountry campground now exists at Aster Lake, providing a toilet (with an amazing view!) and metal bear-proof bins to store your food in. This is grizzly territory, we had one walk 20 meters from our tent in 2005 and sightings are frequent, so make sure you cook away from the tent sites and store your food in the bins at all time.

Bear activity dictates whether the camp sites are open. I had a Grizzly walk through my camp in 88.


Mountain Conditions

Laurie Skreslet on the...
Alpine conditions as usual. Expect all types of weather. Have experienced snow, rain, thunderstorms, beautiful sunshine all in the same day.

The Alpine Club of Canada

Approach Route to Mount...
Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/

Staying at the club in Canmore is 15$ Canadian for members and 19$ for non-members. It can get quite crowded in the summer so a reservation is recommended.

External Links

Mount Joffre s North Face...

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
GMJ

GMJ - Jan 13, 2020 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Mount Joffre

This mountain is called Mount Joffre :)

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KananaskisMountains & Rocks
 
Kananaskis Top 10Mountains & Rocks
 
Kananaskis 10,000+ ’ersMountains & Rocks
 
Kananaskis 3000+ ’ersMountains & Rocks