Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.53438°N / 115.21431°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9911 ft / 3021 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Cordonnier (center)...
This page at the moment is weak partially due to the lack of photos. While I have climbed this peak twice, I cannot find my photos from either trip. While I keep looking for theses shots, I welcome any photos that people might have of this peak. Please be patient. Thanks for the image supplied by Dow Williams. Cheers William

Located in the Joffre Range which has ten peaks over 3,ooo metres in newly created Height of the Rockies Provincial park. Basically a scramble up the southeast ridge, Mt. Cordonnier is a peak in the World War One General group located near the border of the province of British Columbia, named of the WWI French General Emilien V. Cordonnier. While you are there it is quite easy to ridge walk to some of the other peaks in the surrounding area, notably Warrior. These two make for an excellent 3 day weekend of climbing/scrambling.

Elevation gain from camp at Aster Lake 700 metres

Getting There

Mount Cordonnier from the...
From Calgary. Head to Kananaskis. Then to the trailhead on the Upper Kananaskis Lake. Follow the trail on the left side of the lake (one hour) the ascend to Hidden lake (sometimes empty) through the forest. Follow the left hand side to the trail up an unstable scree slope to Aster lake. Then follow the glacial moraine to the left up the valley passing by Warrior, Pitan on your left. Go up and cross over the moraine and either continue east and follow the east ridge or combine it with Warrior and follow the ridge from the summit of Warrior or the col. Both are easily done in one day. Unlike Warrior there is some exposure in a couple of sections but nothing really difficult.

Red Tape

Check in and out with the Rangers at the station you pass on the left in Kananaskis. Ask about the Bears! Campfires! Pack out all you pack in.

This route and many others are well described in the guidebook Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies by Alan Kane. Page 169

When To Climb

The summer June to November are preferred times.

Camping

Its ok to enter when the park is open. Bear activity dictates whether the camp sites are open. I had a Grizzly walk through my camp in 88. A good piece of equipment is a watertight bag to put all your food. Then you can place it underwater in Aster Lake with rocks on it to not attract the bears.

Update in 2005. Bear bins are now at Astor Lake as well as a toilet.

Mountain Conditions

Like any mountain area expect every type of condition. I personally have witnessed rain, snow, hail and bright sunshine all in the same day.

The Alpine Club of Canada

Joining a club such as The Alpine Club of Canada is recommended when climbing in Canada. While it is not obligatory, useful information can be had at any of their main Clubhouse in Canmore, or at their website which is open to everyone.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.