Alpine Skills International

 

Alpine Skills International
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Alpine Skills International
Page By Steve Larson
Page Type Jan 25, 2007 / Jan 25, 2007
Object ID 2183
Hits 6950
Vote

Company Description

Truckee, CA based Alpine Skills International is owned and operated by long-time Sierra guides Bela G. Vadasz and Mimi Maki-Vadasz. With a combined 55 years of guiding between them, ASI's leadership has plenty of experience. UIAGM/IFMGA and AMGA certifications add to their credibility.

ASI's course and trip offerings lean towards the amazing rock climbing, skiing, and boarding opportunities their Lake Tahoe home turf provides, but they also offer trips and courses further afield:

  • Classic Sierra peaks & routes
  • Mt. Shasta
  • Sierra ice couloirs
  • Mexican volcanoes
  • European Alps (ski tours)

For more information, contact them at:

Alpine Skills International
11400 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96161
530-582-9170 Phone
530-582-9175 Fax/Phone
asi@alpineskills.com

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Steve Larson - Jan 26, 2007 2:02 am - Voted 5/5

Good outfit
The first climbing course I ever took was from ASI back in the early '90s. It was a one-week course in alpine mountaineering on Shasta. The class was well organized, and the instruction comprehensive, although I regret that there was too much snow to really get a feel for glacier/crevasse navigation. Their approach to practicing glacier travel and crevasse rescue (back then, I don't know what it is now) was to have everyone rope up on a safe slope, then (without warning of course) everyone but the leader would start running down the hill to simulate a crevasse fall. You actually had to do a real arrest, and they kept the tension up until you had set up and anchor. Very realistic. I came away with a solid sense of what it might be like to have to do it for real, and the confidence that I would be able to do so. We also did beacon searches (analog beacons, mind you, not these wussy digital things everyone has nowadays ;) ).

Viewing: 1-1 of 1