Mountain Adventure Seminars

 

Mountain Adventure Seminars
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Mountain Adventure Seminars
Page By fossana
Page Type Mar 25, 2008 / Mar 25, 2008
Object ID 5161
Hits 4244
Vote

Service Description

Location: 148 Bear Valley Rd., Bear Valley, CA 95223

Accommodation: BaseCamp Lodge, camping or MAS ski cabin

Contact: 209.753.6556 ext. 1, mail@mtadventure.com, website

Accreditations/Certifications: American Mountain Guides Assoc. (MAS), Professional Ski Instructors of America (tele instructors), and Wilderness First Responder (all guides/instructors)


Offerings:

  • Rock Climbing

  • Mountaineering

  • Avalanche Education

  • Telemark Ski School

  • Telemark Festival

  • Backcountry Skiing

  • Lift Accessed Backcountry Skiing

  • Snowshoeing

  • Private Guiding

  • Group Discounts

  • Ski Cabin Rental

Fossana's Biased Opinion

Firstly, I will say that in general I'm not a huge fan of classroom learning for the backcountry or guiding services. I've used these people twice, once for a backcountry festival and once for their Glacier Travel and Crevasse Rescue class, although quite a few years back (the last in 2003). Both times I stayed in the BaseCamp lodge. The crew was knowledgeable and experienced, the classes were useful, and the backcountry festival was a blast (OK, so maybe my opinion was slightly skewed by the fact I won a windstopper fleece jacket in the raffle). The setting is nice b/c you're away from the Tahoe scene. Accommodations were reasonable as well.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

JHH60 - Feb 16, 2010 6:30 pm - Voted 5/5

Just did AIARE with them
Just took an AIARE level 1 class with them. The setting was really beautiful (Poison Canyon with Mokelumne peaks all around) and the resort laid back and pleasant. The BaseCamp lodge is now employee housing but MAS has leased condo space (the "Nordic Loft") above the cross country center to provide inexpensive and comfortable lodging for students. Do be aware that cross country center customers can go upstairs into the Nordic loft living room and bathrooms between 10 and 4, so lock your bedroom door if you are worried about valuables.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1