Sierra Mountain Center

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Sierra Mountain Center
Page By Steve Larson
Page Type Jan 25, 2007 / Jan 26, 2007
Object ID 2149
Hits 8420
Vote

Company Description

Bishop, CA based Sierra Mountain Center is owned and operated by long-time Sierra guides Robert "SP" Parker, and Todd Vogel. Although the partnership was formed in the late 1990's, both Parker and Vogel have been climbing and guiding in the area for over 20 years.

One of the strengths of SMC is their instructional program. Their course offerings include the usual mountaineering skills, but they also provide training in avalanche safety (through AIARE Level III), wilderness medicine (WFR), rescue, leading on rock, ski mountaineering, and AMGA Rock instructor and top rope site manager training. Additional custom training is available on request.

SMC runs a variety of trips year round in the Sierra, Alaska, and internationally. Areas of operation include:

  • Sierra Nevada
  • Owens Gorge
  • Alaska Range
  • Patagonia
  • Bolivia
  • Canadian Rockies
  • European Alps
  • Southern Alps
  • Baffin Island

For more information, contact them at:

Sierra Mountain Center, LLC.
174 W. Line St
Bishop, CA, 93514
Tel: 760-873-8526
office@sierramountaincenter.com

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

rhyang - Jan 25, 2007 9:33 pm - Voted 5/5

Fall Ice Seminar - 9/2004
Took SMC's Fall Ice Seminar in September 2004. The initial plan was to go up to Gilbert / Thompson, but those climbs apparently weren't in good shape at the time, so we went to do the Dana Couloir and North Peak instead.

Instruction was good, and the guide seemed to know his stuff well. We camped the first night at Dana Lake, practiced a bit on the Dana glacier, then climbed the Dana Couloir the next day. French Technique (flatfooting) and other skills were discussed.

The last day we planned to go up to North Peak and climb the right couloir, but for a variety of reasons we decided to drill skills on a nearby gully that had iced up. We practiced offset axe placement, frontpointing, etc.

I learned a lot. The guide was personable and competent.

Steve Larson - Jan 26, 2007 2:06 am - Voted 5/5

Good outfit
I took a two day ice climbing course in LVC with SP Parker, participated in a 5-day winter Sierra ascent, and did their Avy 1 course. All top-notch, I learned a lot. Well organized and reasonably priced. I highly recommend them.

KathyW - Apr 19, 2007 9:03 am - Hasn't voted

Snow Travel Skills was really good
I took SMC's 1-day snow travel course a few years ago. It was a really good class. The instructor/guide kept us out practicing skills for close to 12 hours - I learned a lot.

Augie Medina - Aug 31, 2007 2:50 pm - Voted 5/5

Excellent
I took a 4-day Intro. to Mountaineering course from this outfit in 2000. The instruction included the basics of technical rock climbing, crampon technique and ice axe use including self-arrest, and roped travel on snow. We rock climbed at Iris Slab, climbed Mt. Abbot and did a technical climb of Petit Grifon. The instructor, Dave Melkonian, was excellent, and S.P. himself popped out one day to check on things. I certainly would recommend this outfit.

lavaka - Dec 23, 2008 1:08 pm - Voted 5/5

Very pleased
My club organized a 24-person Level I avalanche course with SP in 2007 and all the participants were very satisfied.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5