It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:05 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Sawtooths? Glacier?

Hi everyone. I've edited this to now include Glacier as a possibility, due to the fire near the Sawtooths. Again, I appreciate the comments and advice.

Hoping some of you Sawtooth vets with experience might be able to answer a few questions for me! Sent out a couple of pm's, but, haven't heard back from anyone yet, so, thought I'd try here.

Possible upcoming trip with my son, who lives in Missoula, to the Sawtooths ...
Read more : Sawtooths? Glacier? | Views : 17167 | Replies : 17

Granite Peak accident/rescue

Thomas Pfeifle of Rapid City is in critical condition after falling at least 20 feet on Granite Peak on Monday August 8th. Full story and video in the link below.

Full story.
Read more : Granite Peak accident/rescue | Views : 5787 | Replies : 1

Chimney Rock in Selkirks - short rope?

I have my eye on this, but the SP page suggests two 50m ropes are needed to rap the West Face. I'm curious whether it's possible to (a) climb and (b) rap this with a single shorter rope (40m), or alternatively if two 35m ropes would suffice for the raps (and be long enough for the leads, obviously).

Thanks in advance.
Read more : Chimney Rock in Selkirks - short rope? | Views : 4877 | Replies : 1

Cirque of the Towers traverse

Has anyone on here done the full Cirque traverse? If so, what pointers do you have? How early to start, rack size, simul climbing spots. Etc. Thinking of this for next year, but possibly this September. Maybe th to th in a day....not sure.
Read more : Cirque of the Towers traverse | Views : 4501 | Replies : 0

Grand Teton car to car

Completed the Grand via OS car to car yesterday. Had some mishaps, and had 2 people people with me who are great climbers but fairly unfamiliar with big mountain trad routes, and did it in 21hrs. We went up the west col of Disappointment Peak to scout some of the routes on Disappointment as well. Fantastic weather on Fri, and great this morning as well.
Read more : Grand Teton car to car | Views : 5301 | Replies : 2

Granite Peak, North Side conditions

Hi everyone

My wife Penelope and I are presently in Livingston, Montana, about to hike to Mt. Cowen. We have never been to this area before, but it looks to us that there is precious little snow, everywhere.

Would anyone know what the conditions are on the North side of Granite Peak? We planned to climb the Notch Couloir, III, 5.7 which includes a significant snow and ice couloir. We would not want to carry ...
Read more : Granite Peak, North Side conditions | Views : 4579 | Replies : 1

Questions about next week in White Cloud Wilderness

Hi folks...a few questions about backpacking next week in White Cloud Wilderness. (Two experienced backpackers but not climbers nor anglers. Happy to average five to seven miles a day depending on terrain and what there is to see. Love alpine lakes.)

* Does it look like smoke from Idaho City or North Fork fires makes it a bad idea to go to White Cloud area next week? Hard to get a read on that from ...
Read more : Questions about next week in White Cloud Wilderness | Views : 4028 | Replies : 0

Bighorns fire

Hasn't voted

A 3,000 acre fire is burning in the Bighorns and has US16 shut down. If you were planning on climbing cloud Peak via Tensleep, you're out of luck. You'll have to use Bighorn reservoir access. The standard ne approach for the Blacktooth to Cloud Peak eastern Cirque alpine Rock climbs are unaffected. This affects all of the sport routes in Tensleep Canyon.
Read more : Bighorns fire | Views : 4535 | Replies : 2

Beartooth conditions; transportation (looking for a ride)

My buddy and I are flying into Belgrade the night of July 23rd. Our plan is to reach the West Fork of the Stillwater trailhead by the 24th or 25th, and start on a trek across the Beartooths. Our approximate route will take us up and over Lake Plateau, up the Stillwater and the Glacier Creek drainage, and then by Upper Aero Lake to Skytop Lakes. From the Skytop basin, we'll cross over to Lowary ...
Read more : Beartooth conditions; transportation (looking for a ride) | Views : 4630 | Replies : 3

Hiking/ climbing partners bozeman

Anyone want to help a noob get into the sport. 29 year old male, I hike a lot but would like to start climbing. I have all the gas and power bars that you can consume
Read more : Hiking/ climbing partners bozeman | Views : 3247 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557959 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136429