It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:42 pm

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Fatal Fall in Grand Canyon

A tragic ending to a long distance hike

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/fatal- ... 31c8d.html
Read more : Fatal Fall in Grand Canyon | Views : 2343 | Replies : 2

Wheeler Peak (NM)

I'm looking to hike Wheeler Peak in mid-June. Any one have any suggestions? I did Humphries Peak in AZ last June, should we expect similar wind gusts? Is Taos the best place to stay while we are in the area? Any information would be helpful... thank you!
Read more : Wheeler Peak (NM) | Views : 6166 | Replies : 8

Your neck of the woods?

Spring is banging the drum quite LOUDLY here in Arizona. How's things progressing in YOUR neck of the woods ???

http://www.summitpost.org/pins-and-needles/787436

http://www.summitpost.org/release-release/787530
Read more : Your neck of the woods? | Views : 2826 | Replies : 6

Organ Mtns, Sugarloaf

I've been eye-balling Sugarloaf for a few months now....online of course....and would love to get this thing done. Probably North Face Route or Left Eyebrow, whichever is the longest and most fun. Please enlighten me as to when the best time of the year to climb this thing is...considering typical weather and aspect of route.
Thanks!
Read more : Organ Mtns, Sugarloaf | Views : 2387 | Replies : 1

4 Corners Peaks Need ID!

I recently flew to Texas for my best friends wedding. While flying I had lots of fun snapping shots of the terrain with my phone whenever the clouds broke. Most of the time, I can tell exactly where I am, but on this occasion, I was completely baffled, even though I knew the general vicinity I was in. The mystery is the two tall, dark towers rising from the red earth below the wing. At ...
Read more : 4 Corners Peaks Need ID! | Views : 25479 | Replies : 52

Red Rocks Peak ID's Requested

Hey all,

I took the following two pictures from near the First Creek parking area recently on the way to climb White Rock Pinnacle and would like to ID the peaks for my files. It's my belief that the second is Indecision Peak, but I am unsure if it's just one point there or the whole mountain. I can't figure if the first is the Monument, Sandstone Mountain, or something else. Any help from you ...
Read more : Red Rocks Peak ID's Requested | Views : 3731 | Replies : 3

Santa Rosa & Paradise Peaks, NV

This area is sort of a taxinomical quandary. These peaks hardly seem at home in the southwest forum. The fit better in eastern Oregon. Either way, Santa Rosa and Paradise Peaks look like awesome mountains. Unfortunately, Paradise Peak does not have a page on Summitpost and the Santa Rosa Peak pages is crummy. It seems like most of the beta is lifted out Bruce Grubbs' Hiking Nevada book. I did not fact-check it too closely, ...
Read more : Santa Rosa & Paradise Peaks, NV | Views : 1798 | Replies : 0

Tramway proposed for the Grand Canyon

No kidding. The Navajo Tribe is trying to outdo the Hualapai Tribe, the builders of the skywalk, with a tramway from the rim to the river.

Navajo President Ben Shelly recently signed a nonbinding agreement that lists the gondola, a restaurant, a half-mile river walk, a resort hotel and spa and RV park among the attractions of a proposed development that he says will bring up to $70 million a year in revenue to the ...
Read more : Tramway proposed for the Grand Canyon | Views : 2749 | Replies : 9

Trip Planning, Texas, New Mexico, April/May

My wife and I are planning to visit Texas in late April or early May. I have never been to Texas, and my wife has only been there for a week, spending time in the western panhandle, around Dalhart, Amarillo, and Hereford. We plan to spend a few days around the Amarillo and Hereford areas. Beyond that, we would like to hike and sightsee. I am looking for some suggestions of areas to hike, mountains ...
Read more : Trip Planning, Texas, New Mexico, April/May | Views : 12237 | Replies : 36

Backpacking trips in UT/NM/AZ.

Hello,

Spring break is coming up, and I need some time alone in the wilderness, and am not trying to do any mountaineering, most likely. Anyone know any good extended multi-day backpacking trips in the SW? I've done a few of the common ones. I've been to Dark Canyon, have walked the Arizona Trail, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Painted Desert, and Bisti. Can anyone suggest anything awesome outside of those places?
Read more : Backpacking trips in UT/NM/AZ. | Views : 5169 | Replies : 7

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557991 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136504