"Pine Hollow Peak" (UT)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8440 ft / 2573 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

[Note: August 2020. I adopted this page after it was orphaned by the original author. I have made no substantive changes to it - utahjimk]

 

"Pine Hollow Peak" is located in the heart of American Fork Canyon. Unfortunately, the peak has no official name so few take the stroll to visit its summit. Although, a trail does go within feet of the summit, because it dead-ends on most maps, few probably hike it. This is a good poor weather hike, most of the route is in the trees, and the views are all of nearby mountains. The only real danger here is mountain bikers flying down the trail behind you. Keep an eye out when going downhill. I was passed by 3 bikers in headlamps in the early hours of the morning!

Pine Hollow Peak Pine Hollow Peak from North Fork Ridge

Getting There

Find your way into American Fork Canyon. Up the road from Timpooneke Campground on the Alpine Loop Road are a series of windy road turns. Park in the most northern curve (see map).

Pine Hollow Peak Map Pine Hollow Peak Map

Route

The trail quickly switchbacks to the ridgeline 100 feet above where you'll find a trail split. Go left working your way down to a small meadow and campsite. Continue straight at the meadow where another trail goes left. Work uphill then down to Mud Springs where you will need to go left. Follow the map on this hike to avoid wrong turns! Cross Pine Hollow and continue until reaching open meadows and a ridgeline. Pay close attention for a trail going west along the ridgeline crest. The main trail will cut back and go down the other side. Follow this overgrowing trail a good distance until it turns north. The trail goes just below the summit on the south side. Climb 50 feet or so to the top. The trail continues beyond the summit but should drop elevation considerably, go back if so.  

Views south South View
Looking southeast Looking Southeast
Mount Timpanogos Mount Timpanogos
On the trail On the trail
Looking North Looking North
American Fork Canyon American Fork Canyon

Deans Images

Here are a few of Deans pictures. He always puts good information in the captions so click on them if you are serious about doing this one.  

Summit view Timpanogos
No. Timp from.... North Timpanogos
Heading for the high point
The key junction Key Junction
2nd sign Second Sign
First sign First Sign

External Links