Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.93300°N / 119.353°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10912 ft / 3326 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ragged Peak is the most prominent feature of the ridge south of the Young Lakes region of Yosemite. It lies 4 miles north of Tioga Road and its summit provides an excellent view of the Tuolumne Meadows and northeastern Yosemite backcountry, with probably the best view of Mt. Conness and it's stunning SW Face.

The peak can be climbed in a half day from the Lembert Dome parking lot. The easiest route is a light class 2-3 scramble from the saddle to the east of the peak.

Besides the class 2-3 southern route, Secor lists the NW Face as Class 5, the NE Face as 5.6, and the E Face as class 5.
Please feel free to add a route to this mountain if you have more information on any of these approaches.


Getting There

Ragged peak is most easily reached from the Young Lakes trailhead which lies along Tioga Road. Start at the Young Lakes/Dog Lake/Lembert Dome parking lot (immediately east of the Tuolumne River bridge). From the parking lot, head back and to the left and you will pass the signed Young Lakes trailhead. Follow the Young Lakes trail 3.5 miles to Dingley Creek, passing signed junctions with trails to Lembert Dome and Dog Lake.

At Dingley Creek, one can head offtrail north towards the saddle between Ragged (on your left) and Peak 11255 (on your right). A faint use trail can be found once you climb from the valley floor.
Alternately, one can continue to follow the Young Lakes trail as it circles clockwise around the Peak.


Red Tape

Standard Yosemite backcountry rules apply. (No permits for dayhikes, permits for overnight trips) See the Tuolumne Meadows page for additional information.

When To Climb

Due to the winter closure of Tioga Road, the peak is most easily accessible between May and November. The north side of the pass will have snow well into the summer months (requiring crampons and/or axe to decend from the pass to Young Lakes)


Camping

The Tuolumne Meadows campground is a short distance from the Young Lakes/Lembert Dome Trailhead. Yosemite Campgrounds link here

The Young Lakes region at the base of Ragged Peak is a popular backcountry camping destination. Yosemite Backcountry Page here

Mountain Conditions

Yosemite conditions can be found on the Yosemite NPS page..


Etymology

According to Peter Browning's Yosemite Place Names, the peak was probably named during the 1878-79 Wheeler survey and was visited in 1863 by William Brewer and Charles Hoffmann

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.