Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.15530°N / 104.898°W
Additional Information County: Douglas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7605 ft / 2318 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Spruce Mountain - another view from near the summitView from near the summit


Not so much a mountain as a butte, Spruce Mountain provides a nice day outing that is close to home for many residents and visotors along the Front Range (particularly the northern Colorado Springs area or southern Denver). Convenient to I-25, the hike to Spruce Mountain treats the hiker to cool breezes and wide-open views with minimal sacrifice. Views of Pikes Peak are particularly striking.


Spruce Mountain is part of the 3,000 acre Greenland Ranch Open Space. This rolling "Marlborough Man" country dotted with buttes is especially lovely in the fall when the grasses turn golden and the scrub oak rust a lovely red. From the summit, look for snow dusted Pikes Peak to your south-southwest, sit down and enjoy a snack.

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominance: 265 feet

Getting There

Spruce Mountain - near summitEnjoying wide open views from near the summit

Peak after PeakPeak after peak
Photo by csmcgranahan


From I-25 take Exit #163 (County Line Road). Turn left and drive 2.5 miles to a T intersection. Turn right on Spruce Mountain Road and drive 3.6 miles to a dirt parking lot on the left.

See the Upper Loop on Spruce Mountain route for trail details.

Red Tape

Nice formation north of Spruce MountainNice formation north of Spruce Mountain
Photo by csmcgranahan
View south from summitView south from summit
Photo by csmcgranahan


Douglas County Open Space welcomes horses and bicyles. Dogs must be on a leash.

Weather

Spruce Mountain is an all-weather objective. Heavy snows in the winter may increase the challenge, while heat and crowds may make summer a less enjoyable time to visit.

Zone Forecast for Monument, CO

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Jan 26, 2011 9:36 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Douglas Co...

Deleted. :)

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.