Bächenstock

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.76668°N / 8.53672°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9879 ft / 3011 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bächenstock 3011m is a mountain in Switzerland, in the Swiss-canton Uri, located in the Uri Alps Groups. The Bächenstock is close-by the Susten pass road and the small village Färnigen 1455m and the large village Wassen 916m at the Gotthard highway.

To the south of the Bächenstock you find the glacier "Sewenzwächten" and to the east the glacier "Bächenfirn". In the neighborhood one found the mountains Fleckistock 3416m, Gross Spannort 3198m, Krönten 3107m, Stucklistock 3313m. Bächenstock is a popular mountain in summer as well as in spring with ski. Particularly with ski he is visited frequently from the Susten pass road (village Färnigen).


The Bächenstock 3011mThe Bächenstock 3011m


Route & Difficulty

- Summer route:

The most favorable way: Starting point is the Sewen hut 2150m at the Susten pass road. On a hiking trail one goes to Sewenalp and to the point Sewenstöss 2336m. one continues to the point 2614m (in the northwest from the Miesplanggenstock 2874m) and and goes on the glacier Sewenzwächten. Over the southwest ridge or the south flank you reaches the top of Bächenstock 3011m.

Difficulty: WS (PD)


- Winter/Spring route with ski:

With ski one goes the same route as in the summer. See above. usually start at the Susten pass road.

Difficulty: SS- (TD-) ¦ Route: 271 ¦ 1500 metres in altitude (from the pass road).

_____

Online maps for Switzerland:

www.mapplus.ch

Map Search - Online Maps



Accommodations

Sewen hut 2150m - Link: www.sewenhuette.ch



Getting There

With public transport:

On the Gotthard railway, from Lucerne to the village Wassen, a village in front of the famous Gotthard-tunnel. From Wassen with Bus or Taxi into the Meien-valley, until the village Färnigen 1455m.

Online train schedule (public transport Switzerland): SBB schedule


By Car:

On the Gotthard highway to the village Wassen. And into the Meien-valley until the village Färnigen 1455m.

Online route scheduler: route scheduler in english and TCS.ch



Weather, climate and snow conditions in Switzerland

Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology

Weather SFDRS

Meteo News.ch

Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research Davos: www.slf.ch

Links

Link to the Bächenstock tour: www.bachenstock-tour.ch

Switzerland tourism: www.myswitzerland.com

Uri tourism: www.uri.ch

Good and favorable accommodations: www.rooms.ch

In Memory of Cyrill Rüegger

A note from the SP staff
Cyrill Rüegger, the member we all used to know as Cyrill and Digitalis, died on June 13th 2009 in an avalanche on the summit ridge of Piz Palü together with his wife Tanja and a common friend. They were swept down by the avalanche into a couloir underneath the east summit and died instantly. Their bodies were retrieved from the Palü Glacier by helicopter a day after the accident.

Cyrill joined SP in March 2006 and soon was one of the most prolific contributors on the site with almost 70 mountain and 5 range pages to his profile. He was an accomplished climber, bagging almost 1000 summits in not quite seven years. Among them are 35 4000ers and 272 3000ers, almost all of them in his home country Switzerland.

While contributing a lot on SP, Cyrill's real internet home was www.hikr.org where he contributed 585 mountain profiles and reports in his native language German. Cyrill also posted on www.bergsteigen.at and other climbing sites, often under his real name but also under the pseudonym Digitalis. He was a botanist by profession and also contributed his knowledge about medical plants to different websites. Cyrill will be greatly missed by all.

This page will be kept in honour of Cyrill, one of SP's most prolific members and most active mountaineers.

Rest in peace, brother!

The picture above was taken on the summit of Matterhorn on July 28th 2007.