Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.77667°N / 8.53964°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10105 ft / 3080 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Zwächten 3080m is a mountain in Switzerland, in the Swiss-canton Uri, located in the Uri Alps Groups. The Zwächten is close-by the Susten pass road and the small village Färnigen 1455m and the large village Wassen 916m at the Gotthard highway.

In the southwest of the Zwächten you find the small glacier "Rossfirn" and to the north the big glacier "Glatt Firn". In the neighborhood one found the mountains Bächenstock 3011m, Gross Spannort 3198m, Krönten 3107m, Stucklistock 3313m. Zwächten is a popular mountain in summer as well as in spring with ski. Particularly with ski he is visited frequently from the Susten pass road (village Färnigen).

Zwächten 3080mZwächten 3080m

Route & Difficulty

- Summer route:

The most favorable way: Starting point is the Susten pass road, point Gorezmettlen bridge 1613m. On a hiking trail one goes into the Chlialp valley to the point Rossbiel 2217m. One continues to the Rossfirn and through a steep couloir to the point 2974m. Then flatter over the southeast flank to the summit of the Zwächten 3080m.


- Winter/Spring route with ski:

With ski one goes the same route as in the summer. See above.


Alternative route from the Krönten hut 1903m:

Krönten hut - on a hiking trail to Oberseemandli 2229m and Graw Stock 2456m, then over the glacier Glatt Firn to the Zwächten
_____

Online maps for Switzerland:

www.mapplus.ch

Map Search - Online Maps




Accommodations

Sewen hut 2150m - Link: www.sewenhuette.ch

Krönten hut 1903m - Link: www.kroentenhuette.ch

Krönten Hut 1903mKrönten hut 1903m





Getting There

With public transport:

On the Gotthard railway, from Lucerne to the village Wassen, a village in front of the famous Gotthard-tunnel. From Wassen with Bus or Taxi into the Meien valley, until the village Färnigen 1455m (Gorezmettlen).

Online train schedule (public transport Switzerland): SBB schedule


By Car:

On the Gotthard highway to the village Wassen. And into the Meien-valley until the village Färnigen 1455m (Gorezmettlen).

Online route scheduler: route scheduler in english and TCS.ch




Weather, climate and snow conditions in Switzerland

Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology

Weather SFDRS

Meteo News.ch

Swiss Federal Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research Davos: www.slf.ch



Links

Link to the Zwächten tour: www.zwachten-tour.ch

Switzerland tourism: www.myswitzerland.com

Uri tourism: www.uri.ch

Good and favorable accommodations: www.rooms.ch

In Memory of Cyrill Rüegger

A note from the SP staff
Cyrill Rüegger, the member we all used to know as Cyrill and Digitalis, died on June 13th 2009 in an avalanche on the summit ridge of Piz Palü together with his wife Tanja and a common friend. They were swept down by the avalanche into a couloir underneath the east summit and died instantly. Their bodies were retrieved from the Palü Glacier by helicopter a day after the accident.

Cyrill joined SP in March 2006 and soon was one of the most prolific contributors on the site with almost 70 mountain and 5 range pages to his profile. He was an accomplished climber, bagging almost 1000 summits in not quite seven years. Among them are 35 4000ers and 272 3000ers, almost all of them in his home country Switzerland.

While contributing a lot on SP, Cyrill's real internet home was www.hikr.org where he contributed 585 mountain profiles and reports in his native language German. Cyrill also posted on www.bergsteigen.at and other climbing sites, often under his real name but also under the pseudonym Digitalis. He was a botanist by profession and also contributed his knowledge about medical plants to different websites. Cyrill will be greatly missed by all.

This page will be kept in honour of Cyrill, one of SP's most prolific members and most active mountaineers.

Rest in peace, brother!

The picture above was taken on the summit of Matterhorn on July 28th 2007.