Bird Of Prey

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.31040°N / 116.8798°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

The Route

'Bird Of Prey' (5.9-) can be found on 'Thundebird Wall', which is situated opposite from 'Claim Jumper Wall'. This wall faces east...and ideal for a sunny autumn day. Refer to Brad Singer's guide 'Hidden Gems Of The San Bernadino Mountains' on a birds eye location of Thunderbird Wall. Upon facing the wall, locate the second route from the left (just right of a route with a right arching crack above and 15 feet left of a splitter crack called 'Last Call For Alcohol' 5.8).

Start on a flat boulder and make faces moves to the first and second bolts. Climb above and slightly to the right to reach the third by moving along a small overhang. After clipping the third bolt, move out left onto a knob and climb up the steep face till the 4th bolt is reached. Head directly above the 4th bolt (the slightly overhanging crux) for 15 feet before clipping the last bolt and move up and slightly right to the two cold shuts above (shared with 'Last Call For Alcohol'). Lower off here. Beware of rope drag on the lower off....the rope drags along some sharp features. A rappel may be a better option (climbers discretion).

Gear

(1) 50 or 60 meter rope
(5) quickdraws
Slings for belay option above



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.