Lost Orbit Rock

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.31040°N / 116.8798°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad and Sport Climbs
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.7-5.12A
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the driving directions to the Holcomb Valley Pinnacles. From the parking area head to the right or east side of the initial rock formation "Parking Lot Rock". There is a use trail that heads northeast. About 5 minutes up you will see the long east face of Lost Orbit Rock. I went through and listed these routes because it can be difficult to find Brad Singer's climbing guide, Hidden Treasures Rock Climbing in the San Bernardino Mountains . The guide book is excellent, and if you can find it, I recommend getting it for this area.

Route Description


There are nine bolted routes on the west face, nine on the east face, and three on the south face. The climbs on the east face are the longest and highest quality. Mt favorites were the following three starting with the most northern and working south along the face.

I color coded the word start in the picture according to each route.

Hannibal Lefter 5.7: A nice warm-up climb for your day, as this rock is close to the parking area. Follow the left-arching crack on the separate formation on the north end of the east face until it runs out. Face climb to the chains.

Slacker 5.11A: An excellent face climb that is 6 bolts long up the face to the right of the most prominent crack on the east face of Lost Orbit Rock.

Lunar Eclipse 5.11A: This climb is on the southern side or opposite side of the large crack described in Slacker. It is also a nice face climb with a crux at the top that I couldn't get up.

Essential Gear


If you are only interested in sport climbing then 8 quick-draws, some beaners, and a few slings are all you need. If you want to do some trad, bring pro up to 4" because of the depth of some of the cracks.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.